Patches        T-Shirts       Auto        Ka-Bars       Mugs      Request a Catalog

Non-slip grease. And for the those that remember gamma goats, "Go see the company gunny and tell him you need some gamma goat feed."
Sgt. Ed DeVoe 1983-1987
1st Landing Support Battalion "Red Patch"

I Survived Special

Personal Sanitation and Hygiene
While at MCRD Pendleton, 1st Battalion, the day was scheduled for our final inspection.

We were assembled in an area adjacent to our Company, in formation, while at ease when a sharp command came, "Attention".

Most of us had never seen an Officer our entire training cycle. Well, here was a 2nd Lieutenant. When he arrived at a private almost directly behind me and asked, "What's the muzzle velocity of the M-14 Rifle, the private being questioned clearly crapped all over himself and was promptly sent back to the Platoon area to clean up.

He was the only person in my Platoon not in our picture taken immediately after the inspection was completed.

We returned to our Platoon area, changed into utilities, were informed that we could now unbutton our collars, and for the rest of the day would be on a "Casual" status.

In about an hour we were told to assemble the entire Platoon into one Quonset hut. Our DI's and Platoon Commander entered and announced that this would be a Q&A session...that we could ask anything that we wanted to on this one occasion.

Against Terrorism Well, the following occurred:
I asked why it was, that after all of our classes and training involving "Personal Sanitation and Hygiene", when we were in the Head, did the DI's then choose to have us do "On your backs, and On your bellies" in the dirt and sand and water covering the entire floor of the Head? It seemed to me that this was directly contradicting the purpose of being in the head to begin clean up after another day of hard training.

Well, SSgt. Stoner replied, "You know that the Head is just chock-full of germs and microbes and all kinds of nasty sh*t. We, in the Marine Corps, after many years of dutiful investigation, investing millions of dollars, have come to one final order to kill all those germs and microbes and such there's only one way to do gotta CRUSH those mothers!"

Semper Fi

Michael J Nichols
Deerfield, WI
Da Nang, 69-70

By The Book
As the Headquarters Commandant of a MEU (SOC) unit and being embarked on ship I had to come up with some bright ideas to motivate the officers and enlisted in my unit. On one deployment heading to Kuwait Decided it was time to get a new 2nd Lieutenant. I set it up with the ship CO and the MEU commander that he was going to be the new mail buoy watch.

Vote Marines Special

Bright and early one morning after breakfast he was summoned to the CO's office and told to report to the bridge for special duty. Once on the bridge he was instructed by the Officer on the watch to climb to the highest point of the ship and watch for the mail buoy as morale was low for Marines and Sailors alike. Mail would really help them all.

I took this Lt to his position and gave him a two way radio and told him if he had any question or problems that he should give me a call. It started about 15 minutes later when he called and said he saw nothing on the horizon. I told him to check in every 15 minutes and advise me of his status.

While in a staff meeting with the CO's of all units my radio kept going off and we all had a great laugh. Finally the CO took the radio and told the Lt to report to his stateroom in 5 minutes with a full report of his duties. When the Lt walked in we all broke out in laughter.

The Lt looked right at me and said Gunny I will get you for this. Well he did. He paired us up on shore patrol and did it right by the book, no breaks, sitting down, etc...Then after duty we had a beer and laughed about it and planned our next prank.

Semper Fi
Dennis "Gunny D" Dolgner
GySgt USMC (Ret)

Classic Scout Job
3rd Scout Platoon, 3rd Tank Bn, 3rd MarDiv for the invasion of Bougainville Sgt Grit: I am Pete Saussy, age 60, son of Marine Col. George S. Saussy Jr. USMC[Ret} I am sending you images of 2 logos/designs for units he commanded. The first is 3rd Scout Platoon, 3rd Tank Bn, 3rd MarDiv for the invasion of Bougainville. 3rd Tanks took its scout pltns M3 scout cars away and gave them to the Kiwis, they got jeeps instead, which also proved right useless on Bougainville. the scouts[recon] were used as a 21st Marine regimental asset and my father said they spent about as much time and effort avoiding other Marine patrols as they did the Japanese. During their time, they did the classic scout job of snooping but not pooping. he lost only one of his Marines, Pvt William who had volunteered to guide another unit and borrowed his service .45. both were lost. Why Tankers were used as scouts is apparently because they were "scouts" mounted or not.

8th Tank Bn at Camp Lejeune in 1950-1 The second design is for the 8th Tank Bn at Camp Lejeune in 1950-1? wherein, my father served as XO. They only had a few tanks, M4's and maybe M-26/46. the design is a humorous comment on their capabilities. I offered this design to our local 8th Tk Bn reserve detachment but they being good hard-chargers didn't express any interest. so please put them up on your site to jog some more memories

"All Hail the Tigers of the North"
3rd Tank Bn, Camp Hansen, Okinawa, 1960-61

Pete Saussy

Combined Age
Photo of Sgt. Roper and Captain Slatic Gents, I enjoyed the recent pieces on 55 year old Sergeant Roper. Enjoy the attached photo of Sgt. Roper and me. It was taken last October/November about 60 clicks north of Fallujah on ASR Golden. I arrived at an Iraqi Highway patrol VCP and while I was walking around, I see this Marine who looks even older then me. I don't get this very often as I was a year older then the MEF Sergeant Major at the time, having 18 years of broken service and being the oldest Captain in the USMC. Sergeant Roper explained his situation and it was very motivating even to another old warhorse such as me. Our reasons for coming back to do this again, not surprisingly, were identical. You don't often see a photo of two Marines with a combined age of over least not outside of MEF Headquarters.

Semper Fidelis,
Captain T.P. Slatic
C Company
4th LAR

The Power of Teamwork
At MCRD San Diego, Platoon 1056 (1981) a recruit, Joe Eltringham, broke his ankle in 2nd phase (if I remember correctly). The D.I.'s, SSGT Lutz, SSGT Rillo and Sgt. Shirley, told us if we would be willing to carry him and he could pass all the test at the end he could graduate with us. We all knew he would have done the same for any of us. We just knew it.

I was browsing a Marine Website recently and a photo popped up on the first page. Although it's been more than 25 years I recognized the Marine in this photo. Joe Eltringham had just retired as a Master Gunnery Sergeant. I was able to contact him and we had a bit of a dialog. He had a distinguished career. It was good to actually see that our platoon's teamwork paid off.

Sgt. John Minton, (ret)
Marine Veteran, 0311
Red Bluff, CA

I Remember Almost
I was reading your email tonight and I thought to myself, there is not a Marine on the face of the earth who does not remember his drill instructors; SSGT Reed Plt Com., Sgt Hackley, Sgt Hullum, MCRD San Diego Plt 369 May-July 1967. I'd still buy their dinner if I ever ran into them somewhere. Tried hard to remember my teachers in high School, no good, does this mean I am uneducated??

PS I remember almost everyone I was in Boot Camp with.

(Cpl) Doug Scrivner
USMC 1967-1970 Semper Fi RVN 68-69
BLT 2/7 B & C Co. 1st Tanks (Zippo) 1st Mar.Div.

Marines have a sick sense of humor, but you just have to love us. I was an armor with 2/27th, H&Q. The new guys always came in asking for a bore brush for a 3.5 rocket launcher and numerous other nonexistent items. I was nice enough to explain that someone was pulling their chain and how to get back at them. All had a good sense of humor about it and went on their merry way. I do wish I could have seen some of the pay backs though. Marine's have been known to be great scammers when it came to keeping their weapons clean. They would come into the armory with the most filthy rifles and machine guns, then tell us that it was mis-firing. It only took a few times of this, when we set a cleaning drum outside. They got a little ticked off when we told them to clean the weapon and then we would go up to the range and fire the weapon. I usually put enough rounds thru it to get it good and dirty again. 99% of the time there was no malfunction and we would then tell them to re-clean the weapon. That stunt only lasted about two weeks and the grunts didn't come in unless there was a real problem. Keep the stories coming, the memories just keep flooding back.

F. McDowell, Sgt.
Corps, 67/70

Proudest Moments
In 1957 I enlisted in the Marine Corps and I have never regretted it. What influenced me to do so was to continue the tradition of, "God, Country, State and Family commitments. My father was a Marine and was assigned to "Okinawa" in April, 1945. Three days after he landed, (April 15, 1945) He lost his life as well as many other Marines fighting the Japanese. (I was four years old)

I learned quite a bit while serving in the Corps. That experience has served me well as a military person and a US Citizen after receiving my "Honorable Discharge".

One of my proudest moments was after I was stationed in Albany, GA. (now known as the Marine Corps Supply Center,) I was assigned to the position of, "Warehouseman", shortly thereafter, the Base Commanding General recruited men for the US Marine Corps Band and I was fortunate enough to be selected. I served in these two positions for three years.

"Semper Fi" will continue to be my leading guide in my lifetime and it has never failed me. I sincerely appreciate all the men and woman who have served in the military and those who support the United States of America.

Roger R. Levesque

A Fine Marine
Urn made for Del and his family Sgt Grit-
March 14th I lost a great friend, Marine-MGYSGT Del Yetter. Attached is a photo of the Urn I made for Del and his family. Del was a member of the Marine Air Traffic control Association from its start,
And will be missed by all.
What a fine Marine he was/is.
Semper Fi, Del.

Skip Redpath (former GYSGT, 7324)

The Great Santini
In reference to a query by Tony Glass, Sgt. USMC, about movies featuring Marine air..............
"The Great Santini" released Oct 1979 starring Robert Duvall, Blythe Danner, and Michael O'Keefe based on the novel by author Pat Conroy. Pat Conroy's father was Donald Conroy, Col. USMC, a Marine aviator who assumed the name "The Great Santini". Much of the movie was "set" at MCAS, Beaufort, SC. The squadron flew F-4J's.

For more info, go to, search "The Great Santini".

R.M."Zeb" Zobenica
Capt. USMC (Ret)
F-4B "Driver" ..... To Sgt Glass's question regarding Marine Air and Hollywood. Just off of the top of my head, "What about the Great Santini?" My favorite scene of all time being the Cream-of-Mushroom chow time, after Duvall fakes hurling on the dance floor in front of all the Naval officers and their wife's.

I recently watched some of the movie with my wife, who only after a few minutes, from the change of duty station and driving at night scene, came to a conclusion which follows. "It must be a Marine thing, wanting to do most of a trip's driving at night." I replied, "It is a Marine thing, we do all of our best work at night!" To this she rolled her eyes and walked out. God I love that woman!

Semper Fi Marines,
USMC Active '82-'86
2nd Rad Bn, RRP

Nothing Happened
G'day Sgt Grit,

After several months with my Marines in Nam 1966-67, I (dare I admit it?) volunteered to transfer to a 3rd Recon group who were being sent to Okinawa for further training before returning in-country for their specific mission. After our training was completed, we were put aboard the USS Iwo Jima helicopter carrier ship heading back for our insertion when I visited the ship's sick bay and was offered a chance to observe some relatively minor surgery by the Navy surgeons aboard. Being an experienced Corpsman but yet never having seen any actual controlled surgery, I was eager to observe and learn what I could.

The two surgeons operating were wearing the newer type of preformed surgical masks which I had never seen before... when one of them called to me for help when his mask had slipped slightly upwards and was interfering with his field of vision. While being aware that I should not contaminate his surgical gown, etc... I carefully leaned forward, grasping his formed mask... and tried to tug it down to where it belonged. Nothing happened, but after a couple of nervous tugs on my part I heard a very nasal voice telling me to, "Let go of my nose!... Let go of my nose!"

My embarrassment was only soothed when we boarded our chopper and headed out for our mission.
In later years I became an Orthopedic Surgeon's Assistant and was able to fully master the terrible pre-formed surgical masks for once and all.

Semper Fi
Doc 'chopper John' Patrick HM3

I need some Motor-T stories and phrases. The stories because I have not received many, the phrases unique to Motor-T because I may do a t-shirt.

Send to

Semper Fi
Sgt Grit

picture of Jack, a true American Hero, recipient of the Medal of Honor for actions while serving on Iwo Jima who survived jumping on 2 Japanese hand grenades Sgt Grit,
I can attest to the story about Jack Lucas as told by Ed Fulwider. I was in attendance as a member of the group who were responsible for security and transportation of the MOH recipients. The event occurred in August of 2003. I had the honor of being the driver for the van that Jack rode to a number of the events that were set up for the MOH recipients. God how he loved the sirens and cops that escorted us everywhere. He said one day,
"look at all these people wondering who the h&ll these people are" Hitting me in the ribs with his left hand shouting "Ain't that right Boston"?.

I had met Jack at the MOH reunion in Boston a few years prior to that and had the honor of meeting up with him again in 2007. A true hero who loved life. I recall his telling a story about all he wanted to do was kill Japs. He stated I don't think I got one of them but they sure got me!

The attached picture was taken in 2007 after I showed him a picture of my English Bulldog. He asked what was the dogs name and when I told him 'Lucas' he let out a belly laugh and yelled to his wife "Honey someone named a d*mn dog after me, now I can go and die"! He was a fun guy and a Great Marine. I think we all would have loved to be around him even if he wasn't a MOH recipient. We were truly blessed to have such great men in our brotherhood.

Semper Fi Jack and Mr Fulwider

p.s. the other gentleman in the picture is John McDermott of the Irish Tenors and a great friend of Veterans causes.

Cpl - 6114 70-74 Comprise 06

More FNG Missions
After reading the latest "FNG" stories, I felt the need to add my own. On the third day after arriving in Vietnam late October, 1966, I finally got to my new duty station, Hill 54, the base of the 1st Bn. 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division. I was assigned to Delta Company, 2nd Platoon, 3rd Squad. My new squad leader sent me down to the armory to get my web gear and my M-14 rifle; he also told me to pick-up "30 feet of chow-line" and a few sets of "Boot Stretchers." The monsoon rains made me think the boot stretchers could be a possibility, but the chow-line gave it away. When I got back to our area, I simply told my squad leader that he would have to fill out form whatever in triplicate in order for me to fill his request; he never responded.

P.S. You got a great web page, keep up the good work.

Corporal. of Marines,
Paul McNally

Sgt Grit,
I would like to add a couple to the list;
-a group tightener for an M-14
-a left handed axe
Yep, I was told to go get them both

SSgt PM Finlay
K/3/3 1965, Scout Dog Handler 68

Hey Sarge. The most fun we had, however, was collecting exhaust samples from our A-4M Skyhawks. The FNG needs to find a large garbage bag and stand behind the bird while we're turning. You had to get the IGV's to actuate (about 85%) in order to get a clean sample. Man was it hilarious seeing them leaning as hard as they could not to get blown over, tears streaming and trying, desperately, to hold on to a 55 gallon trash bag. Of course, once the sample was properly obtained, they would take it down to NARF (where depot level maintenance was done on F-4's and later became NAD- And wasn't that a kick when they fielded their softball team!) to be processed. Good stuff from Cherry Point. I'm sure it wasn't safe or healthy, but man was it funny..

Semper Fi
Adam Plummer
SGT of Marines, 83 - 87

Sgt. Grit,

I thought you might enjoy this one as it has unusual twist. I worked in radar at the time and we sent one of the new guys off looking for a 1D10T tube. He spent so long going through the supply list looking for it that our radar OIC got involved lending him a hand. As best I can remembered they spent at least two or three hours searching for it before it occurred to one of them that if you wrote out 1D10T that it spelled IDIOT. Needless to say there was a radar meeting late that afternoon and the OIC was not well pleased. It was hilarious. to add the capper one of the guys took an old tube with all the markings burned off and carefully marked it 1D10T and showed it around as what we were looking for, although, of course not to our OIC who had no sense of humor.


After Bootcamp in 69 I went to ITS in San Onefre and then from there I went to BITS Battalion at Camp Horno for my MOS training of 0351. One day we went out for training to fire the 106's recoilless rifles. Well, my instructor told me to go to supply and get a holster for the 106. Me following orders, ran to supply and asked for a holster. The supply Sgt said to me to tell my instructor that he is nuts. There is no holster for the 106. I told the instructor, he kicked me in the behind and told me to tell the Sgt that he wants one now. I was sent there for at least four times and then it dawn on me that there was no such thing. Instructor started to laugh. I didn't think it was a bit funny being that I was running back and forth.

SSgt Clark

Find Sgt Rock, This was at the P-111 Site aboard MCAS Yuma { nothing but rocks but one was named Sgt Rock}.

Doppler Grease.

Michael R. King Sgt
Jan 73 to Mar 82

I remember sending a couple of FNG's to go get Prick E4 forms, or to go get a hose stretcher.

LCpl Iliff

How about a shoulder holster for a 106 recoilless or chowline and my all-time favorite hunting for snipe.

SSgt. Moore, J.C. 2389599 1968-1977

I was in communications. Since our MRC-62 radios still used vacuum tubes we sent one FNG over to the WM barracks to see if they had any extra fallopian tubes!
He did and came back in tears!

Bill Wright '67-'71
Plt. 268, MCRD Parris Island
Comm-Elect. School Bn, MCRD San Diego
1st Mar. Div, Hq Bn, Comm. Co., Radio Relay Plt.
2nd MAW, MWHS2, Cherry Point

The key to the hydrostatic lock?

Randy Waters

I am currently active duty in Cincinnati, OH training the reserve unit.
Blinker Fluid, keys to the HMVW, find a grid squarer.

Here are a few more FNG missions I found my self on while serving in a Marine Detachment onboard the USS Holland in the fall of 1989.

Go to damage control (Only to be sent somewhere else to find them since everyone was in on this one) and get some batteries for the sound powered phone.

Standing mail buoy watch while at sea with a 10 foot gaff and a battle lantern and instructions that our mail bag was camouflaged!

Good times!
Cpl. Cundiff 88-92
0351- Death on a String

In 1996, I reported to my unit (Kilo 3/10) while they were in the field on Camp Lejeune. Besides being the FNG, I was also clean where as they had over a weeks dirt on them. Being prior service, I knew to keep my mouth shut and follow orders. The gun I was assigned to just arrived by means of a different truck. (our truck broke down in route so they switched trucks to keep the gun moving), SO we had a 198 Howitzer with no truck. This being the case, and being on the gun line for 5 minutes, I didn't think twice when Cpl Coletta sent me to gun 5 for a broom and a stack of 0811's. I grabbed all my gear and double timed over. I stepped to the edge and asked.

Pfc Adams called me in to the edge of their truck. Once standing at the tailgate, Adams picked me up and started spinning around before I knew what had happened. For a moment I thought I would get set down...WRONG. He proceeded to slam me down in a fashion that Hulk Hogan would be proud of.

With the wind knocked out of me and once again thinking, incorrectly, that it was over, the members of gun 5 began to jump on Adams' back making a stack. My favorite was the guys jumping off the trails WWF style. I had just received a stack of 0811's. Of course I was eventually let up and welcomed to the gun line. I don't think Coletta really wanted a broom anyway. That stacking job reigned supreme for the next 3+ years.

Thanks for the great gear and newsletter,
Sgt Richardson, S.D.
Kilo Battery 3/10 1996-1999

Part Number for a Urinal is " 4U2PN2 " on a burning sh!tter working party.


I remember some of the things we would tell the FNG's (especially the ones that thought they knew everything. They were usually the first ones picked out). We pulled the usually "Ask the Comm Tech for 100' of shoreline, ask Gunny for the batteries for the PRicK E7, sledge qualify and of course, marching them into the jetty. Being amphibious (AAV's or Amtraks) we were always doing maintenance on our vehicles. We would send the FNG's to the maintenance shed for a "maintenance punch". They typically came back with a sore chest or upper arm. My favorite thing to do was to send the FNG's crawling under the AAV with a ballpeen hammer and check the hull for weak spots (we wouldn't want a weak spot giving out and causing us to sink.) To my amazement, no matter how many times this was pulled, I never had anyone come back with a count of zero.

Sgt. Randy Linder
3rd AABN 93-97

50' of main line of resistance.
Ed Craft, :"Mustang Ed" LtCol USMCR (Ret.)

Here are a few examples of the FNG missions we had in the late 80's/early 90's:

- Setting up a plane watch at the static display in front of the chow hall at NAS Memphis, to ensure no one stole it or wrote graffiti on it.
- Sending the newbie to the head shed to get a PRC-E9 radio (just have them ask for the Prick-E9)
- Setting up a seat belt watch for the main gate at NAS Memphis, we would have the FNG stand just inside the gate and have them take their right hand from their right shoulder to their left waist and then salute every vehicle coming onto the base. The SP's got a kick out of it for awhile, until the base CO made us do away with it.
- I once had a LCpl take a circuit board to our mini-comp shop to have a piece soldered on, he brought it back and it still didn't test properly. I had him go back and verify that they didn't use the non-conductive solder on it. I think I heard him cussing me out from 250' away, I couldn't quite tell though.... there was too much laughter from everyone else

Robert Hooper GySgt/USMCR 1989-Present

Oh the fun we had with the FNG's (I think everyone can say that they got worse than they gave, though)!
Here's a few from 3rd Trax (3rd Assault Amphibian Bn.).
Road wheel pressure gauge
Can of squelch for the radio
Track lengthener
Scope sun block
And don't forget the track pin and track block distance contests!

"Go over to Hydraulics shop and get four cans of Pneumatic Fluid",
"Go over to Power Plants (Engine) and tell them the spark plugs for #01".
All of these usually sent the new guy from one shop to another and usually different squadrons too. One of the best was to wait till about a half an hour after flight when the pilots should be debriefing and tell the FNG the pilot took the keys from the aircraft and to go find him and get the keys.

This worked best if it was the C.O. or X.O. New guys were always good for more laughs too.

Semper Fi,

MSgt. Ben (Benjo) Spotts USMC (Ret) 1970-1993

C-4 can make a dull day fun!
In combat, last guys do not finish nice!
Will Rogers never met Jane Fonda!

1) Sending the FNG down to supply for 50 pounds of feathers for the machine gun nest.

2) Sending the FNG down to the armory for a BFA for the Gunny's .45

3) Sending the FNG to supply for a case of grid squares

Dave C, Cpl
Weps co 3/5
1st MarDiv

-Being sent over to the Crash Fire Rescue barn to find a stack of 7051's (their MOS).

-Sent to admin to find an ID-10-T form. (One guy from our unit actually made it to the XO before someone straightened him out.. even the SgtMaj passed him on.)

-Stretching canvas on the backs of the "pickup" HMMWV's. After a good SoCal La Nina rain in the winter there was plenty of water up there and the unknowing FNG was sure to get doused.

-Was temporarily loaned to a Motor T unit and thinking they had a rube on their hands I was told to go to the parts room and get spark plugs for the HMMWV. Knowing that it was a diesel I refused...hesitantly.

Andrew Mathias
Corporal 1997-2001, MWSS-373 and H&HS Miramar

Sgt Grit, One of the funniest things to ever happen on a 155mm howitzer gun line the battery Gunny would frown upon these pranks pulled on the newbies because of the Co being so close to the action during field exercises. Every now and then the fire direction control center would send down the chronograph to register a few rounds fired from the M198. Well when setting the chronograph up we would run it through a test to make sure all was well with the machine. There was a piece that went near the muzzle to measure round velocity leaving the tube we would tell the new guys it registered off of the sound of the cannon going BOOM so we would have them stand there and shout BOOM into the piece. It would not have been funny except we would tell them nope didn't get anything it needs to be louder and this would continue until the old salts could not hold back there laughter anymore. Well on one occasion the Battery Gunny not being in a good mood as they never really are heard the traditional BOOM coming from my section when Gunny came down I could tell he was not happy with all of the section laughing at the FNG. Seeing that I was the section chief and the obvious ring leader of this prank he made me stand at attention and shout BOOM into the chronograph for about half an hour until I could not yell anymore. Lesson learned and there were many more lessons after that I don't know where he is today but I would like to thank you to Gunnery Sergeant Michael Holt who I know was promoted to Master Sergeant last time I saw him but will always be Gunny to the guys who served under him. He loved the Marine Corps and he was hard but always took care of his Marines and the lessons he taught those hard headed 0811 section chiefs will stay with us forever. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast here's to you Gunny Holt so hard . On another note I was showing my house to a new tenant who's son was just out of boot camp when she saw my Marine Corps stickers that were purchased from Sgt Grit and after talking with her for about an hour and telling her about the website and newsletter. She explained how nice it is to get assured of her sons safety and that his training will keep him strong from all of the Marine's she runs into. So to all the Marines out there no longer on active duty there are enough people saying what we do is wrong speak up and let these mother's of these young Marine's know that there children will be just fine and give them the website info to keep promoting the greatest fighting force the world has ever known. God Bless our troops and their families

Sgt Jason Phillippi
C 1/10 2nd Marine Division 95 to 99

For all you old "push to talk's". Do you remember getting a "Bucket of zero beads". How many "Cannoncockers" were told to go to Exec pit for a "Battery adjusting wrench".

When we went to the "rock" by ship reporting topside to see the "Seabat", or looking out for the "Dateline".

It seems every week more memories are awakened. Every ones heard the story about the recruit who skated sleeping on post by waking up and saying "AMEN" standing up and continue to "walk his post in a Military manner".

Jim Leonard

Lt. Colonel Jeffrey Chessani
Lt. Colonel Jeffrey Chessani, USMC is selling household items in his front yard to raise money for an appeal. If you can help go to the following web site.

The Only Incidents
Sgt. Grit,
I guess I'm from the Old Corps--1952 to 1960. There never seems to be any articles from this era. While reading the 17 July 2008 newsletter I was surprised by the amount of grab-a*s that took place in boot camp. I don't recall anyone being sent on wild goose chases, I guess our D.I.'s were more interested in training us for survival in combat. We were a platoon of older draftee's extremely proud of being at USMCRD-PI. We were Platoon 261, Seventh Recruit Battalion, graduated May 5, 1952.

There are references to the H type and Quonset hut barracks but never any mention of tent city mainside. Maybe the tents left when we did.

The only incidents I recall was one on the road between mainside and the obstacle course, where our platoon crawled around on our hands and knees looking for a "noseeum" someone had killed, so we could give it a proper burial. The second incident was where we cleaned our tent floors with sand, water and the backs of our scrub brushes. This took place the night before we left P.I.

Our D.I.'s were serious squared away Marines. Tech/Sgt. McLean, SDI and Sgt. Hood,JDI, our first DI's and SSgt. J. P. McGinty, SDI, Sgt. R.F. Myers, JDI and Cpl. V. A. Pascarelli, Jdi the second team. By the way I often wonder how Cpl. Pascarelli's foot is.

Sgt. G. E. Zabel, HQMC-Navy Annex-Arlington, VA.

If you don't see a story about your MOS or era, it is that I do not receive any.
Sgt Grit

Drops His Muzzle
I graduated with PLT 2101 Hotel Co., 2nd BN. We packed all our stuff for the trip to the range. When we got into our squad bay, the AC didn't work. So we opened all the windows up. Somehow, when laundry came back, our DI, Sgt. Elliott found a live round in a guy's pants. Oh yeah, that went over real well. My PMI came and got me and a few other fellas to go shoot on the laser practice range in that new building. Well, when we got back to the squad bay, Sgt. Elliott had PT'd everybody else, with the windows SHUT, so it was really steamy. So steamy, in fact, that rain was falling from the ceiling. I was like, "WTF???"

So later on that week, a guy was shaving during firewatch. Sgt. Elliott walks in on him, and storms back out into the squad bay. He proceeds to throw everybody's nice and neatly folded cammies and boots into the middle of the squad bay. He said, "They tell us you have to have 8 hours of sleep. I'm not telling you you have to stay up, but this s*#t better be back on top of your footlockers in the morning." Lucky for me he threw mine right in front of my footlocker. Some guys had to turn on their red-lens flashlights to see their nametapes and go looking. We wound up and called him Hurricane Elliott.

Seen a fella shoot his thumb off on the range also. I shoot left-handed, so they stuck me on the end. Dude drops his muzzle in the mud, and proceeds to pick it out with his thumb. A hot casing flew out of the guy's rifle to his left, his left hand flinched, pulling the trigger, and shooting his right thumb off. He gets up screaming bloody murder, flags just about every PMI and coach, before somebody tackled him.

Always good times.

L/Cpl Murrell 01-05

Tallest Marine
In the early 60s in the lst MAAM Bn there was a Marine who was the tallest man ever in the Marine Corps. He was LCpl Alan Levine. He was six-feet-nine-inches tall. He had his own special bunk, and during inspections was the guidon as he was so tall he looked out of place in the ranks. When he entered the Corps he was just at the max of six-foot-seven, and then grew another two inches. He was from New Jersey.

Terry N. Crouson
CommandSgtMajor USAR(Ret)

The George Medal
By: R.A. Wulff, RVN, 68-69

In the early morning hours of August 7, 1942, elements of the First Marine Division made their way into the landing boats and began the assault on the Japanese held island of Guadalcanal. As in any conflict, there were to be many acts of heroism, untold fear and the seeds of legends. After an unopposed landing and the initial advance into the interior of the island by the Marines, the Japanese decided that it was time to drive the Americans away from Henderson Airfield and back to the beaches where the Japanese Army would annihilate them. The Marines saw it differently and the battle went from a sparing match to a brawl. It was the birth place of major offensive action and the thousands of telegrams that were to be sent to the front doors of American homes from the Pacific for the next three years.

On the night of August 9'th, ships of the Japanese Navy's Eighth Fleet attacked and inflicted one of the worst defeats on the U.S. Navy.....Read More

I Have Displayed
July 10,08 My Son, Sgt. of Marines Craig Robinson shipped out for his 1st deployment to Iraq. Like all parents who have loved ones deployed you can't help but worry for them. On the other hand I am so very proud of him. I am the service Mgr. at one of the largest concession supply stores here in Detroit, and thanks to Sgt. Grit, and your fine products, my customers know a Marine will be working on their equipment, and many offer prayers and good wishes for my Son, whose picture I have displayed, along with some of your products. The Improvise, adapt, overcome, sign on my door is very popular, and I've had many offers to sell it! I direct them to your site! Just wanted to let the readers of your great newsletter know this Marine is proud of his Son .....

God Bless our Marines & God Bless America
Mike Robinso
SSgt. USMC '72-'80

Not Only Being A Doc
For years I have been proud of my Navy service, then it hit me like a rock I signed up for the Navy but spent all my time attached to the Marines as a FMF Corpsman. I started to realize I became a Marine, I had no regrets, in fact I enjoyed it to the fullest. I became an expert shot with pistol and rifle, I decided that if I was going to Nam that I would do everything I was trained to at Camp Pendleton FMF school. Not only being a "DOC" ( which is earned ) but a vital part of a team. What I hated was keeping two sea bags, I stood Marine inspection and Navy inspection, I knew that if I passed the Marine inspection there would be no problem with the Navy. I hope they do away with that double inspection. After training I was sent to Beaufort S.C. Naval hospital just down the road from Parris Island, I was trained as an independent duty Corpsman after that I was sent to Parris Island taking care of the boots. After a short time I was assigned to C 1/9 3rd Marine Div. the walking dead, this is when I became a full time Marine I wore the uniform proudly, it was then I understood "once a Marine always a Marine". After my service I had this Navy proudness but it never felt right. Now I'm proud to state I'm a Marine and always will be. By the way my wife was a Marine also, met her at Parris Island where she was going to school. My wife and I ride with the Patriot Guard, still standing tall for those who gave all.

Rev. Michael A. Huff, CCC
Pastor / Counselor

Force Logistics Command, FLSG Units, and FLSU units (Vietnam), is having our annual reunion September 11th to 14th in Nashville, Tennessee at the Radisson Hotel @ Opryland. Reservations must be made by August 12th.

Contact Jim Wodecki jim_pj_texas (at)
or call Jim at 214-476-7136.

Sand Flying Everywhere
On the subject of boot camp "games;" I was a member of Platoon 1073, MCRDSD, June -Sept. '75, with our hosts, SSgt. Stough, SSgt. Ciampi, and Sgt. (later SSgt.) Davis.

When the black flag came out, our DI's would first give the order to close all the windows. Then came the order, "Drop," or "Begin." After awhile (and you all know how long 'awhile' can be), we would get the order, "Stop." We'd all be huffing and puffing, sweat running down into our eyes while we were standing at attention awaiting the next order. The next order would be, "I want one fart sack in front of my squad bay, NOW!" Everyone got to their rack as quickly as they could and ripped their racks apart, getting that fart sack off the mattress, piling all the fart sacks in front of the squad bay.

Invariably,as the last few privates arrived, we heard, "Drop!... Down...("Loyalty, Sir!").....Up.....("Determination, Sir!")," etc., etc., ad nauseum, for what seemed like forever. I distinctly remember one of the times we were doing this, the feeling of pure hate and rage I felt, like I had never felt before. I remember thinking to myself, "You are NOT gonna break me! I am NOT gonna break!," over and over. It was my catharsis, and the moment I knew I was going to make it through to graduate as a Marine. Eventually, we were allowed to retrieve our fart sacks and remake our racks. Sometimes we went through this drill multiple times, depending on how well our Drill Instructors felt we as a group made our racks. If it wasn't good enough,.... well, you know....

Another of our favorite "games" was, after some egregious group offense, like failing to sound like one collective footstep while drilling, we would march to "the Pit." We would then be ordered, "Close it in to the center." Then came the order, "Begin." Guys kicking other guys while bending and thrusting, sand flying everywhere, into your eyes and mouth,......big fun, good times!

LCpl F Ashbeck, 3522, E-3 over 3, '75-'78
Every day's a holiday, and every meal's a feast!

Has To Be Crazy
Went to MCRD in San Diego, December 1965, right out of book camp, went to Subic Bay Philippines, go old Olonago, lots of good times there. Tour of Duty was 13 months, and everyone told me once you have done overseas duty, you will always want to go back. At the time, I thought that was crazy. From Subic Bay, went to Camp Pendleton, Sgt. Told us needed someone to volunteer for West Pac. (Vietnam). I was thinking to myself at the time, someone has to be crazy to do that. Well 2 days later I was on my way back home, before I went to Combat Training for West Pac.

Why did I do it? Cause I feel all Marines belong in a combat zone at least once. I have 2 purple hearts to prove it and came home on a stretcher. But I would have not done anything different.

Deadliest Weapon Marine Bumper Sticker Harold (Cpl)
Kilo 3/4 known as Kilo killer
0311 Dec 65 to Dec 69
Semper Fi

What The Heck Is A Typhoon?
On the morning we are to leave for Cua Viet, Handler, the company office pogue, comes by our hooch and tells us that the Gunny wants our tank down to the boat loading ramp in thirty minutes. The navy boat, an LCT (Landing Craft Tank which is quite a bit larger than the Mike boats that we have been using), arrives to pick us up. Being the salty crew that we are, we don't dismount to ground guide the tank on to the boat. No, I simply talk Steffo to back on to the boat via the tank's intercom. If the Gunny saw us, he'd have a cow. Fv*k a bunch of lifers. If we can get away with it, then we do it! We load up our tank and an amtrack on to the LCT without a flaw. The squids raise the boat ramp, we move out and in no time we are at the mouth of the Cua Viet River. We hear the squids talking that there is some awful weather heading our way. One of the Marine amtrackers on board tells us that it's going to be a real humdinger of a 'typhoon.'

Steffo interrupts and asks, 'What the heck is a typhoon?'

The amtrack commander explains that it is the same kind of a storm as a 'hurricane' back in The World only that this storm is on the East Coast of Asia, so they call it a 'typhoon' instead. We off load the tank on to the south side of the river the same way we on loaded (guiding the driver over the intercom). The LCT then heads across the river to deposit the amtrack on the north side. We report into the company office that is inside of a bunker nearby. We are ordered to hold up for a few days to see how the typhoon plays out. At first we get out one of our large tarps and sling it over the gun tube to make a shelter. The wind begins to whip around and our heavy tarp is blown around like a sheet of newspaper. The storm is rapidly approaching gale force so we take shelter in a leaky canvas tent that usually houses supplies for the amtrackers chow hall. Just as it starts to rain in earnest we heat up some C rations and then we bed down in the supply tent. Later in the middle of the night the typhoon intensifies and the rain driven wind blows up from under the billowing tent flaps. I swear that the tent is going to blow away with the hollowing wind but some how it stays in place. We have to try to sleep on the soaking wet wood floor but that's ok since EVERYTHING is soaking wet by now. I will swear on a stack of Bibles that there is absolutely nothing that is dry. Thankfully the next morning, even as the storm continues its fury, we get warm chow in the Amtrackers chow hall, thank God for small favors.

The next day, it still does not appear that the storm is going to let up much, so we flag down a passing Mike boat and ask the squids to take us across the river to the north shore. They comply and when we off load, we notice that there really is nothing in the way of a defensive perimeter or a combat base for us to wait out the storm. As you know we were originally planning to head to 'C-4' with the large convoy of Amtracks but the typhoon is keeping everything and everyone buttoned up. Normally we also would have at least one more tank to come along for covering each other on our movement. As of now no one is moving anywhere but we have been ordered to get our butts up north at once and to be ready for the rumored upcoming invasion of the North. The rain is blowing vertically into our faces. It stings like all get out. I turn my face away from the rain. I don't know how Steffo can see to drive!

Vietnam USMC Bumper Sticker Due to heavy NVA and Viet Cong activity in the area the rule for movement along the beach is that we must drive in the surf (along the part of the beach where the waves are breaking). The reasoning is pretty clear that no antitank mine could withstand the pounding that the waves give the shoreline so we are pretty sure that we are on the mine-free part of the beach. As we start out on our trip north the huge typhoon induced waves are actually breaking over the top of the tank. I am not only soaked by the heavy wind-swept rain but I am soaked by sea water as well. The sea water also comes gushing into the open drivers hatch and it somehow causes the escape hatch (under the driver's seat) to come lose. The safety wire that holds the handle in a 'closed' position is broken by the tide surge and the heavy (150 pound?) hatch simply falls out and is lost somewhere behind us on the beach! At the time, we are unaware that this has happened and we only note it a two days later when we drive the tank over to refuel at the 'Chalie-4' OEM dump. I look inside of the turret and am horrified that the sea water is swirling around 'Pappy's knees! Steffo in the drivers hatch must be more under water than above it! To be perfectly honest, at this point, we seem to be fighting for our lives to keep on the beach and to not be washed out to sea! Due to the total inundation of saltwater, our radios and the tank intercom are now useless. In fact, the only thing that we get over the radios is a loud screaming noise that makes me immediately turn them off. Boy! If we hit the sh!t now, we cannot call for help! After two endless hours of miserable driving through the typhoon and the pounding sea, we pull into 'C-4.' John Wear

First M-14 ??
MCRD P.I.S.C.( Plt 127 May -Aug 1961) my platoon along with 1 or 2 others made a recruiting movie instead of 2 weeks of mess duty on the summer of 61 and they gave us M-14's for all the movie shoots and for those 2 weeks we did everything with them that a platoon does for boot camp and we went through all 13 weeks of training, some we did before and some we knew were coming down the line after we finished the movie. So, my fellow Marines, we may have been the first to have the M-14 or the only platoons to have both the M-1 and M-14 in boot camp.

l/cpl Joe Lacey 1956841 (61-65)
Semper Fi all!

Currently Serving
Sgt Grit,
I have been getting your newsletter for years, even before I earned the title Marine, and it is always good to hear the stories of those serving/served. One thing that has been bugging me, especially the last couple years, is the decline in pride of being a Marine by most I serve with. I know the wing has always had a bad name for being unprofessional as Marines, but anymore it is looked down on to still have pride in the title you earn and the job you do. Even groundside seems to be getting worse, though they still hate us for being "wingers". Not sure if anyone shares this observation, just thought I would bring it up and see if others currently serving have the same opinions...

Semper Fi
JD, Cpl USMC, 05-??

Generation Kill
I read Generation kill when the book first came out. I thought it had a civilian spin on things. The HBO series is even more far-fetched. It seems to play into what civilians want to think about the Corps. When I served in the infantry back the early 80's, we respected pretty much every Marine of higher rank that we served under. Of course we griped at times behind their backs, however, we never acted like the high school kid mentality that I see in this HBO series. If we did not like a particular officer for whatever reason, we still feared them. Our dislike usually was the result of them being so squared away that we had to work harder than we probably wanted to due to their attention to detail. Force Recon was the sharpest unit that we ever knew. They were serious Marines. Regular Battalion Recon was top notch as well. Watching these characters on this HBO series reminds me of the silly portrayal of Recon in Clint Eastwood's Heart Break Ridge. I never heard so many witty one liners in my four years as I have heard in one episode of this show. Just plain silliness in my opinion. I have to keep telling my wife that the Marines are nothing like this. It is more strict than Hollywood can ever portray. The fear that we had of being disrespectful and being "written up" and given an NJP far out-weighed any desire to run your mouth off. The former Marines at my VFW post are all in agreement.

Cpl. Mike Sinclair
Former 0341
WPNS Plt I. Co. 3/4
Oct 81-Oct85

He Did Something Important
Sgt Grit,
I'd like to respond to an item you published in your American Courage Newsletter #178. It was from George Ellis concerning a friend (Hobart Ezell) that recently died. He didn't recall his friend's unit while he was on Iwo Jima. I researched the 5th Marine Division's yearbook and came up with this information

Hobart K. Ezell was with the 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division. He was listed as wounded in action and his rank as ACook (I don't know what that rank is). The 28th Marines landed on Green 1; that is the beach nearest Suribachi at the narrowest part of the island. Part of the regiment went across the island and part of the regiment went up Suribachi, took the mountain, and raised the flag (both of them).

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing. He lived a long life and I'm sure he lived with the knowledge that he did something important for our world.

Semper Fi
Bill Leverence
Sgt, USMC 1970-1973

Sgt Grit Newsletter Archives

Fall Out! Fall In!
Sgt Grit
Talking about boot camp games the one I remember was F**** F****. It was Fall Out! Fall In! We would crash through the Quonset Hut hatch to Fall In on the Platoon street without touching the growth off the asphalt. It was straight out of a Life Magazine's black & white photo essay of MCRD San Diego sometime in the late 50's.

Naturally we were too slow-God couldn't have been Fast enough. We used our M-1s to encourage better speed from those deemed too slow. Crashing into the hatch jambs left unfelt damage in the haste to get into formation. Naturally the tall guys Fell In in front of the short guys huts. Sometimes the heap in the middle was three bodies high.

Sometimes while waiting in the huts for the next round we would bunch at the hatch instead of at attention at our racks so as to gain some time. Two seconds maybe? Of course the DIs would sneak in the back hatch and then it was a new game. Land Mine patrol...

Lima Echo
Cpl of Marines

I Never Made It
I'm a Marine Vietnam Vet., May 1966 - June 1967. I left Vietnam a very proud Marine. When the plane was getting ready to land in California, an officer announced on the plane to change into our civilian clothes as soon as we could get to the airport restrooms because of protesters. I never made it to the restroom. I was spit on as soon as I got to the terminal. She looked to be 30 or so and if it wasn't for my Brother Marine "DB" she would not have had any teeth. I am proud of that uniform! I said to myself that day I would allow no one to ever disrespect me again. I stood my ground, never walked away, and paid some prices. I became very angry and remained that way until about four years ago. The healing started when I joined the American Legion, started reading Sgt Grit News and when I joined the Leathernecks Motorcycle Club.

The American Legion: All, young and old, should support the Legion. They support all branches of the military.

Sgt Grit News: I'll bet you never realized when you started the news letter, by allowing people to tell their stories and