If you are having trouble viewing this issue, see it on our website:

Sgt Grit Newsletter - 07 MAR 2013

In this issue:
• Many Squat Thrusts
• Official Radio Man
• It Pays To Advertise

Online Store TShirts Men's Headgear Patches Women's

Flags   Family Member   Ka-Bars   Auto   Headgear  Jackets  ALL CATEGORIES  

Request a catalog
Facebook Twitter Sgt Grit Blog Sgt Grit's RSS Feeds

While fixing a little batch of my favorite snack I couldn't find my wife's mixer, but I did find one of the blades. She was busy and I didn't want to bother her, so I did what any good Marine would do. You might say I got caught with my hands in the cookie jar.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

Bob Mauney
Vietnam 1966/1967

Many Squat Thrusts

Hey Sgt Grit,

I shot these photos late summer of 1968, flying out of San Diego. I was at MCRD for Radio/Electronics school.

The first shot is of the Quonset huts at the south end of MCRD; I was there for boot camp, Plt. 152, A Co., 1st Bat. The close proximity of the airport is obvious. I remember waking up to the sound of jet engines starting and the smell of jet exhaust.

The second shot is of the training area for bayonet (pugil stick) and obstacle course.

The third shot is of the grinder with a parade in progress. The noise of jet aircraft taking off caused us many squat thrusts or holding our M-14s over our heads because we didn't hear our drill instructors on the grinder.

Sgt. A. Wong USMCR

Can't Forget It

On the night of my high school senior prom, my friends adjusted their cummerbunds while I was adjusting artillery fire. That night as my civilian peers prayed that the wish they made prior to their date would come true in the back seat of a car, I prayed I would have the opportunity to see daylight one more time.

"Hey, Lieutenant," I yelled over the sound of gun fire and rocket explosions. "Any chance of getting some time off this afternoon? I want to run down to DaNang and pick up a tux for tonight."
"What in the h-ll are you talking about? Keep your head down and get ready to call in another fire mission. What do you need a tux out here for anyway?" he asked.
"My senior prom is tonight," I said.
"Why didn't you go last year?" the Lieutenant asked.
"Because this is my senior year, I dropped out of high school so I wouldn't miss all this," I said.
"Hiers, you are crazier than I first thought. Now get the guns up and tell them to drop 100 meters from the last target and fire five rounds at your command. Then find out what's holding up those Medevacs."
"Aye, Aye, Sir, five rounds on the way." I said. "Medevacs have an E.T.A. of fifteen minutes."
"Hiers, don't sweat missing the prom. I can't even remember mine," the Lieutenant said as he left our fox hole.

Twenty years ago while I was taking a few photographs of my daughter and her date prior to them leaving for their high school prom, one of the chaperones asked. "Can you remember your prom?" "I can't forget it," I said.

Jeff Hiers
B Co. 1/26 Marines
1969 -1970

Official Radio Man

I arrived in MCRD San Diego on the evening of 26Jan1956. Of course we were berthed in the reception barracks until we were picked up by our DI's the next day and were moved into the Quonset huts. A day or so later we heard "219 to the company street" and off we all scrambled to get out and into some crude form of a formation. The DI asked if anybody had any radio experience. I had been an amateur radio operator "ham" in civilian life. Stupidly I raised my hand. I know, never volunteer, but I was just now in the process of learning that.

The DI took me into the duty hut and pointed at a radio sitting there. It had been made in the early 50's and it was playing very quiet. It was old and crude and was powered by vacuum tubes (transistors had not been invented yet). Most better radios had 6 to 8 tubes. This miracle of design only used 2. The DI pointed to a short wire coming out of the back of it. I was instructed to take hold of the wire and hold it until relieved. When I did, my body acting as an antenna brought the volume up to an audible level. I stood there for several hours. From that point I was the official radio man for PLT 219.

Paul S "Steve" Murtha
Sgt 25Jan1956 to 24Apr1959
"Radioman", Plt 219

It Pays To Advertise

Last week I was returning to Los Angeles from Scottsdale, AZ. All the traffic crossing the desert area was rolling along at 90 MPH. As we crested a slight hill there was a CHP car sitting cross ways to traffic on the shoulder of the highway. As I was driving I wasn't paying much attention to my mirror which I always do, and when I did look up, there was the CHP Cruiser behind me with red lights flashing.

As the Cruiser got closer to me I knew he was after me. I flipped on my turn signal planning to stop. Then all of a sudden, he killed the red lights, and pulled up along the driver's side of my car and ran alongside me, he saluted me, and off he went. All I could think of was the USMC - Eagle, Globe, and Anchor - and Semper Fi silver stick-on on the rear of my car that I purchased from SGT. GRIT. This proves to me that it "Pays To Advertise".

Larry Lovett
SN: 1500XXX
Plt: 354 MCRDSD

Short Rounds

I agree with Jim Grimes in your last letter about Green campaign covers worn with dress blues. I return to PI every year (24th yr.) to our DI Reunion. I think they look tacky. (Only my opinion) I might suggest the Corps purchase the blue campaign covers the Air Force trainers at Lackland wear.

Gunny Jack

Sgt Grit,

Parris Island, September, 1966, I think, the days all ran together... At the movie theater, to watch John Wayne and "The Green Berets", saw a Drill Instructor from the corner of my eye, as he moved his f-cking Privates into their seats. His cadence was a perfect rendition of the theme from the movie "Exodus"! I was absolutely AMAZED, but couldn't share the moment with anyone...

JJ Holland 2229533,
Sergeant of Marines

Sgt Grit,

What a great experience reminiscing about the times and events while wearing the uniform.

Cpl Bob, each and every saying can be deadly when prefaced with the words... "here, hold my beer"

Semper Fi brothers.
Sgt David Chilbert 1971-1975

"Have it on good authority that the reason that MCRD SD takes longer to complete than PI is because SD is right next to the San Diego Airport and the DIs have to stop talking whenever an airplane lands or takes off!" Bullhockey! The DIs didn't ever stop barking commands. We learned to read lips and/or develop a supernatural hyperaudioacuity, and fast, or else! I like to think they just taught us more at SunnyD.

3050 '82

In my platoon we had Pvt. Zasurinski at MCRD San Diego. I'm sure my spelling is incorrect. Our DIs just called him f-cking alphabet!

L/Cpl M.L. Wilson
1978 - 1982

I went through boot camp at PI in 1991. I was in 2nd Battalion, Plt 2077. We had a Marine in our series who had the unfortunate last name of "Seamen". All of the series Drill Instructors referred to him as "Private D-ck Juice".

Semper Fi
Jay Sherman
Cpl, 1991-1996

I was just looking at my platoon picture and we were wearing khakis with the fore and aft covers. Platoon 27, 4th Bn April 1956 PISC. I can still remember wearing the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on our collars. I also remember having the khaki uniforms, and having the to get them starched. We were issued brown shoes and the Ike jacket. And at that time we were taught squad drill.

MSgt Bill Dugan
Semper Fi

Sgt Grit:

I went thru MCRDSD Boot Camp in Oct 1969. There was a Drill Instructor named SSGT Jester. He was also short and wiry, but built like a 155MM round. His cadence was great, and I can still hear it in my mind. I actually ran into him a few years later in 29 Palms. I was a SGT and he was still a SSGT, but he knew me at a glance. I don't think they ever forget any recruit they put thru Boot Camp!

John R. Persich

Hi Sgt. I'm replying to Cpl. Roy Lively. I too was in Vieques Island when they made "Battle Cry". I was in the 2nd. Marines. We also were there Jan. – March. We were in the tent area, I guess we all were. The actors stayed in our area. Van Heflin, James Whitmore and others. I was at the beach when they made the landing seen. We also made landings for that movie. I was in PLT. 255 at P.I. 1953.

PFC Ron Dougherety

I saw a picture of a Marine's license plate in this week's Grit news. I have a Marine Corps plate on the back of my car. On my front bumper I have a plate that reads "Iwo Jima Survivor". I am always pleased when someone comments about it. Especially when the party knows where IWO is and its significance. I even had a gentleman pay for my wife's and my meal at Cracker Barrel one evening when he saw my IWO plate out the window from where he was sitting.

Bill Daw '42-'46

How about this for auto air freshener: 50 percent burning flesh, 50 percent napalm. That's one I will never be able to forget anyway.

Marine aviation ROCKS.
CAP, Sgt of Marines
Captain U.S. Army


I don't know about your DI's. But my DI's at MCRDSD could out-shout those jets any day!

Phil "Akabu" Coffman
Sgt '72 - '82

To all Marines who survived boot at San Diego: Don't take it seriously when a Swamp Marine calls you a Hollywood Marine. It's just for fun. It's not your fault you were born west of the Mississippi.

To CPL Schilling: You're right. I know it and so do all the rest of us.

Semper Fi,
Mike Benfield
USMC, '59-'63

Seagoing Marines

Sgt. Grit,

As most of your readers will know, the United States Marine Corps provided fighting men aboard Naval vessels since the beginning of the Corps, but some may not know that in 1988, then president Bill Clinton, removed the last of the seagoing Marines from ship's detachments.

Between 01Feb1963 thru 01Feb1965 I was one of those seagoing Marines.

It was an honor to be chosen to serve as a seagoing Marine, but having been twenty-five years since the last Marine detachment, we are becoming a dying breed. I see little in the newsletter in regard to our missions afloat for 223 years and would like to remind our fellow Marine Corps brothers of our history at sea. We experienced some pleasant and unpleasant days of service at sea, but our memories are mostly of the pleasant ones.

I would like to post this photograph of my sea school class of 1963. The photo was taken at Marine Barracks, Portsmouth, Virginia on 21 Dec 1962. If any readers are included in this photo or can help identify and/or locate any of the Marines, please contact me. Some of the names, I can recall, but many fail my memory after fifty years. I would love to hear from anyone on this subject. If I am permitted to post my e-mail address here, I can be contacted at R.Dotson[at]charter.net. If not, I hope Sgt. Grit will forward any comments to me.

Semper Fi,
Richard Dotson

Good Number Of Misguided Recruits

Dear Sgt Grit,

Sgt. Dennis Warn's comments about D.I.s and San Diego International Airport (aka Lindberg Field... see SW corner) brought back a few memories from my time at MCRD (June-Aug 1968).

MCRD formed a triangle... along one side was the Interstate, along the base of the triangle was a pond... with the Navy boot camp on the other side... and the airport on the third side. Perhaps not as grisly as P.I. for a recruit trying to "flip the fence" but tough enough. Airport security turned over a good number of misguided recruits to SDPD who returned them to the Depot.

A good portion of our morning runs took us along the fence line. While in graduate casual awaiting further orders, I ran on my own at first light. I once saw several Staff NCOs near the fence line... shouting... seemingly at nobody.

I discovered later that they were attending D.I. School. Seems that one of their instructors felt that they were not "projecting" their commands properly and had them out before the recruits came by shouting commands at the aircraft moving on the field... "To The Rear"!

Jim Owings

Sky Pilot

Sgt. Grit,

It's me again, the Ancient 2531 with yet another unbelievable tale. When in the Nam, I saw several times, a CH-53 helicopter with a rather large white painted middle finger on the ramp. I thought this was pretty cool as someone was giving Charlie the bird by air.

Fast forward to the early 1980's. I was working at a retail firearms store here in Houston when a law enforcement officer comes in. We found out that we were both Marines and were in Nam about the same time. I asked the gentleman if he ever saw that chopper. He replied that he was in fact the crew chief of that very bird and he was the artist of that very finger. When quizzed about it, he said that he had, had a falling out with a sky pilot (Chaplain) and this was his way of showing his displeasure with him.

I wonder if anyone else remembers seeing this 53. This was late 1970, early 1971 in the DaNang area.

Dan Buchanan
Ancient 2531

Orientation To The Bush

Sgt. Grit,

Have loved reading all the stories from the fellow MARINES. Myself, Corps '67-'73, Sgt., Plt. 188, MCRD San Diego, May - July '67, Delta 1/4 Nam '67-'68, Con Thien, Cam Lo (TET 68), CAP '68-'69 (Quang Tri) some 12 clicks down river, Marine Barracks San Juan, P.R. '69-'71, NCOIC Division Reception Center, Camp Pendleton ('71-'73).

I still believe the best years in the Corps were the ones spent in the Nam with the Grunts in D-1-4. I remember still, very clearly, my first patrol in country, November '67, during the start of Operation Kentucky. When moving up in front of Con Thien, as a Battalion listening post, at the Mac Line. Of course, as the new boot in country I was assigned to walk point, at the time I thought it was an honor, not knowing any better, with that Big Pink Air Panel on my chest and back. All the first few days I walked the point not realizing the fact I was wearing a bulls-eye saying "here I am, shot me".

It was not until a few days later that I came to realize what I had done, and everyone laughing at/with me, and how young and unknowingly (stupid) I was. I can and have to this day laughed at that experience, which I would NOT trade to this day. I realized that it was just my turn to wear the panel, and all my grunt buddies had to do the same during their orientation to the bush.

Just want to say thanks for the website and printed letters. Now at 64, the time seems to fly, but those days in the bush are still the best of my life, and as fresh as ever.

Kenneth W. Read, Sgt.
still/forever a MARINE.

Put That Safety On

Sgt. Grit,

I enjoyed all the responses on Lock and Load. All had some merit. I have to concur with Kenneth Mumford on "Locking" meaning putting the safety on and "Loading" meaning inserting the clip.

Prior to the Marine Corps, I was in High School ROTC and each Christmas Vacation we went to Fort Erwin for a week of, sorry to say, Army life. We fired BARs, our M1s and 1911 .45s.

While on the firing line, the command, "Lock and Load" was given. I thought that it meant to load the clip and let the bolt slam close until a Capt. yells at me to lock my weapon. Looking at him with a puzzled face, he yelled, "Put That Safety On". Now I knew what Lock meant.

Owning an M1 and shooting in Military matches today, it is understood why locking before loading is important with the M1. If the weapon is not on safe and you insert the clip, you can have a slam fire as the bolt closes. I have seen this several times. When locking the M1, the safety catch actually pulls the hammer back off the trigger release and locks it in place. The hammer cannot move due to vibration from the bolt slamming closed.

Glen Griswold,
Sgt. USMC '65-'69

I read many answers to the question on "Lock and Load" in the last Sgt Grit Newsletter... they all seem feasible... BUT, I distinctly remember hearing the commands during rifle qualifying so long ago. The range officer would say over the public address system: "With a clip and 2 rounds (M-1), Lock and Load... All ready on the right... All Ready on the left... All ready on the firing line... Unlock... Watch Your Targets..."

The command to unlock was to push your safety to "off"... so, guess what lock/unlock means to me?

Semper Fi!
Howard Hada
Sea Going, USS Princeton LPH-5

Fighting Foxes

Greetings Sgt. Grit:

I, too, was kept informed that "fighting hole" was the correct term for its Marine occupant.

I'll go on to point out that I browsed a couple books a few years back; one in a bookstore, the other in a library. (I no longer remember their titles). It's pretty evident that the term "foxhole" originated in World War I, probably after successful offensive advances ended the use of trenches, and digging a more personal defilade became necessary.

Anyway, both books credited the Devil Dogs, not Army doughboys, with coining the word "foxhole." As is too often the case in fighting holes, the waters get muddied...

D. L. Mellott
'70 - '74

Cactus Air Force Marine

Our brothers who have gone before us beared greatly on the fabric of the Corps we are privileged to wrap ourselves in as Marines past and present. It saddens my heart as I read the letters in Sgt. Grit and learn how those from the greatest generation diminish in numbers with each passing year. I have been blessed to cross paths with a few of these Marines and cherish those events.

Over the past few years I have come to meet and share a few moments with a Cactus Air Force Marine, Billie "BK" Kennedy. With each encounter I would learn a few more bits and pieces. When I learned that BK flew F4F Wildcats on Guadalcanal it was just unbelievable. I would typically see BK at Sunday brunch with his family and as fall approached I knew those moments could be coming to an end. But as you can see BK has a few more stories to share what a great spring it will be.

If anyone served with BK I would love to hear. I always try to do something for BK at brunch, find old pictures, unit items and so on. I believe BK was in VMF-223 or 224. Thanks in advance. "To those that served the taste of freedom is so sweet, the protected will never know." Semper Fi.

SSgt Rindels EA '79-'91
Capt. ANG (Ret)

P.S. Rank converted pretty good to the Guard, only a slight reduction.

That Hollywood Thing Again

Really enjoy your letters and they bring back lots of old memories.

I was sworn into the Corps on 8 July 1952 in Milwaukee, WI, by a Captain wearing what we called "undress blues". That was the closest I ever got to a dress blue uniform in the three years of my service.

We were put on a train and arrived at MCRD San Diego on 11 July 1952. We graduated on 20 September 1952 as PFC's. During that time we spent about a week at Camp Mathews for "rifle training". While drawing our initial uniform issue, one of the recruits asked, "when do we get our dress blues?" To which the 1st Lt., Supply Officer replied, "We only issue them to the peace time Marines." I was later told the only way to get dress blues issued to you was to go to Sea School and become an Embassy Guard or serve at sea aboard one of the larger ships. Have no personal knowledge as to if that was true or not.

Our drill instructors were, Sgt. K. W. Wright, Cpl. D. W. Elkins, and PFC. O. H. McClelland. On a daily basis they wore the summer khaki dress uniform, but with a pith helmet. The only exception was the day we graduated and the time we posed for the (Honor) Platoon 451 group photo. Then we all wore the summer khaki uniform and garrison cap. The only other time I ever saw a Marine wear a pith helmet was when I was a 2611 radio repairman in Korea. Our NCOIC, a Sgt. (E4), had one and wore it during the hot weather. We never found out when or where he got it.

Corporal Elkins was a small man, and was shorter than us little feather merchants. What he lacked in height he made up for in being "squared away". He was a quiet man (if a Drill Instructor can be such a thing) and walked as though he was seven foot tall. For some strange reason when he called cadence everyone just fell into it like it was a natural thing, even the klutzes. He seemed to have a kind of lilt to his voice or something when calling cadence, although that's not the proper word. We used to look forward to him taking us out for "troop and stomp" because then we were really good. Unlike the other two drill instructors, Corporal Elkins introduced us to a couple special maneuvers that when executed properly (only under his command) were very impressive. Like any Marines we liked to show off. Could that have been the Hollywood in us? By the time we graduated, everyone had a set of boondockers that needed new heels.

One day late in our training we came back from evening chow only to have Corporal Elkins have us fall in and we went out on the grinder pretty much in front of the base theatre for some close order drill. A number of off duty Marines and their wives, etc. we're waiting to get into the theatre. We had no idea what was playing that evening, nor did we care. We put on quite a show for them and finally the doors opened and they went in. Suddenly we found ourselves in formation up near the entrance and then we marched single file into the theatre and sat up in the back. We were dumbfounded and then came the real surprise. Bob Hope had brought his USO show to MCRD as part of his dress rehearsal and warm-up to go to Korea. We were the only boot platoon to be so selected. It was the only time I ever saw Bob Hope in person. And in Boot Camp no less! That Hollywood thing again!

During my tour there were no Lance Corporals, no Gunnery Sergeants, and we never heard of "OoRah" or whatever that is. Pay grades were E-1 through E-7. We were issued the green "Ike" jacket and a green wool shirt. Does that make it the OLD CORPS?

You can call me a Hollywood Marine if you want, as long as you call me a Marine.

Semper Fi brother.
Stewart, Terrance W. Sgt. USMC 1318xxx

Half A Brain

Sgt Grit,

I'm sick of the constant reference to "Hollywood Marines". Anybody who has half a brain, number one, knows that MCRD San Diego is 125 miles south of Hollywood, Los Angeles. Those who received their "hump waivers" at P.I. who make reference to Marines trained in San Diego as Hollywood Marines are uninformed and I best bet 99 percent have never stepped foot on MCRD San Diego. While the "swamp dogs" are trekking around on flat land in P.I., those out in S.D. spend 5-weeks at Camp Pendleton in total remoteness, humping what they call today "The Reaper", and what we in the past called "Mount Mutha F-cker." Oh, they have their sand fleas, such treacherous little bugs. After all, being bit by one might be cause for a medical discharge, right?

While at Edison range, we encountered rattle snakes. While at San Onofre there were brown/orange Mexican Tarantulas, and when he were in the field, before I hit the "rack" (sleeping bag in the middle of who knows where) I discovered a 3-inch long scorpion which was promptly scooped up in a canteen cup, delivered to the D.I.'s and roasted on the open fire. Oh, yeah, but we who went to San Diego enjoyed the mild Mediterranean climate. Almost forgot that one. Yeah, right. In the mountains of Camp Pendleton out in the field, 28 degrees at night is great. Humping in the freezing rain and hail storm really made me want to hit the surf, which we once saw from Edison Range miles out. Bottom line: referencing Marines trained at MCRD San Diego as "Hollywood Marines" is pure ignorance. And, yes, I've been to P.I.

A Hat

Sgt Grit,

Thursday mornings here in my humble mountain retreat have become a new tradition. That new tradition revolves around your newsletter. I'm almost always "home alone", so I can read the newsletter at my leisure, enjoying a cup of richly brewed coffee. Nothing gets done until I have consumed and evaluated every interesting, historical, tribute to our "Corps" written by Marines from almost every era. Most recently are the comments made about Drill Instructors and their penchant for perfection. To some degree, I agree that "hats" are a breed unto themselves; however, they weren't always that way.

Drill Instructors aren't born. They are made. In a process very similar to recruit training, they are taught how to be what they are. Contrary to popular belief, "hats" are not made in Drill Instructor School. While the school is among the finest of military schools, how to be a "hat" is not taught there. Yes, the school teaches the fine points of drill, military subjects, PT, and a variety of other skills, but it does not really teach Marine NCOs and SNCOs how to be Drill Instructors. That's taught in the trenches, on the grinder, in the barracks, by more experienced Drill Instructors. That's learned by observing, and paying attention, listening to "hats" who have been training recruits for many years before the new "hat" assumes his new duties. It's passed from Drill Instructor to Drill Instructor during down time when the recruits are in a class and the "hats" have the time to learn from each other.

The most common comment you might hear between two Drill Instructors is - "Try this, or try that. That's what I do." Incidentally, Drill Instructors are extremely reluctant to reveal their "secrets" to just anyone. An example of this is - When I first became a Drill Instructor, I noticed that the other "hats" in the series weren't sweating through their shirts like I was when we were out on the grinder doing COD. So, I asked. Well, at first all I got was laughs. Then, the Senior Drill Instructor who I was working for gave me the "secret". All "hats" sprayed the inside of their shirts with Scotch Guard water repellent. Therefore, the sweat doesn't leak through the material.

I suppose if all the different methods used by Drill Instructors was written down, the information would fill volumes, maybe libraries of books. But that's what makes your Drill Instructor the best. He has learned all the "tricks" of the trade. He applies those methods that work and rejects those that he finds unacceptable. In order to be the best, every new "hat" must be willing to learn the "tricks" that work. He must apply them diligently, and be ever watchful of the primary mission - to mold scuzzy civilians into basically trained Marines.

I wrote the following some time ago and was chastised for it. The only method of training recruits that I, as a "hat", found unacceptable was "thumping" or beating recruits. If I need to "thump" a recruit to get him to follow my leadership, then I don't want him in my Marine Corps. Marines follow their leaders because they trust them and have confidence in their leadership. Leadership from fear is short term leadership. When he no longer fears you or he is out of your sight, the leadership is gone. If the fear is gone, the leadership is gone. Marines obey orders because they want to obey. Marines perform because they want to succeed, not because they fear their leadership. That's not to imply that a Marine who was "thumped" in boot camp is any less a Marine than any other. Many "hats" out of frustration and lack of patience "thump" recruits. I just don't happen to believe that that type of leadership works very well.

Thanks for allowing me to "sound off".

P.S. My sincere and profound thanks also goes out to SSgt George Amos (SgtMaj, Ret). He is the Marine that taught me how to be a "hat".

GySgt, USMC (Ret)
A Former "Hat"

Private To Captain

I did it too... 1 April 1965 to 1 June 1988, Platoon 2063, graduated 5 Oct 1966, Parris Island, Enlisted / Warrant / LDO. Us Southern boys are pretty good too! :-) Pvt to Captain, Loved every second of it.

My warrant class was the oldest group of individuals to go thru and no one was below the rank of Gunny... we played h-ll with them Lieutenants in the club at night!

T.L. Johnson, Jr
Captain USMC (Ret.)

Promoted to 17 Different Ranks

I noted Capt Kenneth Young's note about being promoted to 13 different ranks. I do believe I have that beat having been promoted to 17 ranks (albeit some of them twice) but of course I served for almost 35 years and he only served 20.

I enlisted in 1955 and advanced through the enlisted ranks to SSgt. I made Warrant Officer in 1965 and then was selected as a Temporary Officer 2nd Lieutenant. I was a Captain when I reverted to my permanent Chief Warrant Officer Rank in 1971. In 1973 I was selected as a 1st Lieutenant Limited Duty Officer and was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1986.

I believe I had a unique career having served as a Sergeant twice (Sgt E-4 and Sgt E-5), also serving twice in the ranks of 1st Lieutenant and Captain; all without being reduced in rank as a punishment. I also served as a Battalion Commander, something very few Limited Duty Officers have the privilege of doing. I also retired twice; after I retired in March 1989, I was recalled to active duty and served for another 16 months being released from active duty in July 1990. At the time I was one of only four (4) Retired Officers on recall to active duty in the USMC – two Colonels, one CWO4, and myself as a LtCol. I guess I didn't get things right the first time and had to do a repeat. Of course I repeated the ranks of Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain twice also. The important thing to remember is the opportunities to succeed are there in the U.S. Marine Corps... one only has to apply himself and keep-on, keeping-on!

Briefly my ranks were as follows: Private (E-1) (1955); PFC (E-2) (1956 - Meritoriously); Cpl (E-3) (1957); Sgt (E-4) (1958 – Meritoriously); Sergeant (E-5) (1961); Staff Sergeant (E-6) (1965); WO (1965); CWO-2; 2nd Lieutenant (Temporary); 1st Lieutenant (Temporary); Captain (Temporary); CWO-3; CWO-4; 1st Lieutenant (Limited Duty Officer); Captain (Limited Duty Officer); Major (Limited Duty Officer); Lieutenant Colonel (Limited Duty Officer).

Semper Fi,
Palmer (Pete) Brown

Hazard On The Range

So here is the question readers, who was in your platoon that caught h-ll for their name and why?

My last name is Rounds. It wasn't too bad having that name up until range week when a PMI noticed my name and said it was a cool Marine name to have. Not sure if he said something to one of my DI's or not but a little later one of them comes up to me saying I was a hazard on the range, etc. Anyways, from then on I was instructed to yell "Rounds coming down range aye, sir" every time I took a step on the range. Occasionally I would catch a DI or PMI trying to hide a laugh. I must say it is pretty fun when you think about it.

When range week was winding down my PMI said it could have been worse, they wanted to tape a pole to me with a red flag indicating hot "rounds" coming down range. Fun times indeed!

Rounds, Chad SGT
Tango 5/11 2000-2004

As Little As Possible

I didn't join the Corps because of John Wayne movies, nor pics of a Marine in dress blues on a poster. My best friend and a good salesman, re: recruiter, talked me into to it. I was still a senior in high school, and they did the "120 day delay" program. It was actually stupid of me, cause late in my senior high school yr. I was offered 2 different college scholarships (Ohio Univ. and Univ. of Akron). I had to turn these down.

When I first got to Parris Island, I was hustling my butt off, and was already in very good physical shape. But after our junior D.I. (a Cpl. E-4 from Cleveland, OH) began his sadistic beating of recruits, it completely turned me off. I didn't sign up for chokings, being kicked, punched and tortured and seeing other young recruits getting the same. The senior drill instructor (an E-6 with 16 yrs. in the Corps) did nothing to stop this. I lost all respect for him. While stationed at Camp Lejeune (as a grunt) I did as little as possible and showed very little motivation to do so. I didn't give a sh-t about being promoted, but didn't disrespect anybody. I just followed orders and nothing more. Somehow in the first 2 yrs. or so they had promoted me to E-3 (LCPL) and I figured I would never go any higher.

On July 4th (while on standby alert status) I was sent to the company headquarters and given my orders for 'Nam. So, Sept. of '65, I landed in DaNang by ship, in a replacement battalion. (about 1,000 of us-going to different units). I was sent to join the 9th Marines next to Marble Mountain area. After 3 days one of my best friends, who I came over with was killed. At that point I figured out that this sh-t is for real. No more phony war games, worrying about spit shine shoes, and boots. This Is The Real Marine Corps. During my stint I was promoted twice, was a squad leader and at the end a platoon Sgt for a while in a CAC unit.

So, Semper Fi!

Louis J. Ferrante
Minerva, OH
Active USMC 1963-67
SGT. Of Marines

Sands Of Iwo Jima

Semper Fi Sgt Grit,

I just read your latest newsletter. Someone wrote about the Sands of Iwo Jima being his reason for join the USMC. That movie also was my reason for joining. I waited for about 2 hours in line to see the Sands of Iwo Jima. In line with me were 2 of my cousins who eventually joined the Navy. But after a Japanese Soldier shot Sgt. Striker in the back I knew I had only one choice, and that was to join the USMC, which I did in August 1959. I served for 4 years and don't regret any of it.

Louis S. Fusaro
USMC 1877605
1959-1963, Active

Best Mexican Food

I grew up in South Texas where there was and still is a very large population of Hispanics. I grew up on the best Mexican food ever. Our local baker made the best "Pan Dulce", sweet bread which included great donuts. Many times for breakfast we ate Cream of Wheat and Donuts. In June of 1965 at the age of 17, I joined the Marines. I went through the usual welcome yellow footprints and all.

My first breakfast I thought, "this can't be so bad", since I had spotted some shiny donuts and cream of wheat at the chow line. I took both including the usual eggs, bacon, toast etc. I sure got a surprise when I bit into the worst donut ever. Not only that, it was quite heavy. The cream of wheat also tasted terrible. Every boot knows that the plate must be clean when you rise from that table. I went out to formation and stood at attention awaiting the rest of the platoon to run back to the Quonset Hut. Did not make it. I upchucked all of the breakfast. Never ate those donuts and cream of wheat again. I later realized that I had eaten bagels and grits which I had never heard of before.

USMC 1965-1969
Vietnam '66-'67, 3/5, 81's

Still Flipping Burgers

First and foremost, Thank you Sgt. Grit for your weekly newsletter and the stories my brothers and sisters send in. I look forward to my weekly "escape" and hot cup of coffee as I reminisce back on some of the best years of my life.

For as long as I can remember, I was going to be a Marine. Before I hit high school, I had already read every book in the school library about Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, and Saipan. Even the little government tests in grade school where they asked you what you wanted to be "when you grew up" – Marine!

I was laying on the couch on a Saturday morning nursing sore muscles from my Friday night football game when I got the call. "Hey Paul, this is Sgt. Baseida (sp) and I am the local Marine Corps recruiter, what's your plans after you graduate?" I said, "I am going to be a Marine"... silence on the phone. "Oh, h-ll I don't even have to talk to you then, when do you want to come in?" I had totally threw him off his game plan and scripted cold calling conversation and was probably the easiest quota number he ever got. Long story short within a month I was tested, had my physical, and signed my contract. Guaranteed Marine Corps Security Force Company (0311). I was set.

September 1992, found me taking my first airplane ride (MCRD SD) and my next step in becoming a Marine. I was dropped into Plt. 3076, Sept-Dec '92. Senior DI Sgt Howell (called me Strawberry because of my red hair, "F'n Strawberry" with a smirk, as he did his nightly inspections of our hands and feet... SNAP-POP), he was a short dark green Marine that looked like he was chiseled out of a 5 foot piece of granite. A god in my eyes, as we all probably thought our Seniors were. Sgt Barron was our heavy and his sidekick Sgt. Lewis. These men are still like super heroes to me. I don't remember much from boot camp, kind of a blur, maybe it was the frantic pace or the fear of God they put in us, but I know I loved every minute of it.

After boot, MCT and SOI in Cali, I was off to MCSF school (AKA Gun Slinger School) in Chesapeake, VA, awesome time. My first duty station landed me in a foreign land, as SSgt John "Jack" Nolan in last week's letter "Sin City of The World" MCSF CO. Panama City, Panama. SSgt Nolan is right, plenty of things for a 19 year old Marine to get in trouble with down there. The Marine barracks we called "The Big House" had to have been around when he was there. Spent 23 months of fast roping from Army Blackhawks, live ammo patrols through the jungle guarding the Navy fuel farm (ATF), "Green H-ll" the Army's jungle school at Fort Davis, holler monkeys, catching lobsters on the reef after guard duty by hand. All while my buddies back home were still flipping burgers and going to college.

Headed to Camp Lejeune after that and joined India Co. 3/6. Did a couple CAX, UDP to Oki, and a float. My own little world tour at tax payer expense. Last duty station I was on I&I duty in Waterloo, IA with Delta Co. 2/14.

Nearly 10 years of service before I decided to get married and hang up my boots. I regret that decision most days and miss the travel, but being there when my children were born and watching them as they grow makes my decision a little easier to handle. They know I am a Marine and one day, maybe I will be back at MCRD watching them start their adventure.

Sorry this got a little long but in closing, here is my favorite "humping" song. Learned during the long marches to the ranges in MCT and SOI. Enjoy.

SSgt Sanders – 1992-2002.
Good night Chesty – wherever you are!

You can keep your Army khaki,
You can keep your Navy blue,
I have the World's best fighting man,
To introduce to you.
His uniform is different,
The best you've ever seen,
The Germans called him "Devil Dog",
His real name is "Marine".
He was born on Parris Island,
The place where God forgot.
The sand is eighteen inches deep,
The sun is blazing hot.
He gets up every morning,
Before the rising sun.
He'll run a hundred miles and more,
Before the day is done.
He's deadly with a rifle,
A bayonet made of steel.
He took the Warrior's calling card,
He's mastered how to kill.
And when he gets to Heaven,
St. Peter he will tell,
One more Marine reporting, sir,
I've spent my time in H-ll.
So listen, all you young girls,
To what I have to say;
Go find yourself a young Marine,
To love you every day.
He'll hug you and he'll kiss you,
And treat you like a queen,
There is no better Fighting Man,
The United States Marine!

Two Grenades

Sgt. Grit,

In the last two newsletters there were mentions about PFC. Jacklyn H. Lucas Medal of Honor Winner at Iwo Jima. Let me tell you a bit about PFC. Lucas, he landed on Iwo 4 days after his 17th Birthday. He was given his Medal of Honor for falling on one Grenade and pulling another grenade under himself. Only one grenade exploded and he became the youngest Marine to receive the United States Highest Military Decoration, the Medal of Honor. It was presented to him by President Harry Truman at the White House almost eight months after his Act of Bravery.

But there is so much to his story, he enlisted in 1942 saying he was 17 years old, actually he was fifteen years old. He was at Pearl Harbor when he told his friends he was going to join a combat outfit. On 10 January, he walked out of camp and was declared AWOL. He stowed away on a transport that was going to Iwo. When the ship was at sea he surrendered to the Senior Troop officer dressed in neat Clean Dungarees. He was allowed to remain and was assigned to Hqtrs Company, 5th MarDiv.

He landed on Iwo Jima just four days after his 17th Birthday. His Bravery, his will to fight and get there are so much more. He was more than just a brave Marine, By the way the charges of AWOL were later dropped.

Get the whole story about him on the internet or in books.

GySgt. F. L. Rousseau,
USMC Retired

"We Saved the United States Marine Corps"

Since 1775 there have been many generations of United States Marines who made their mark in its glorious history. The 1948 Marines are unique by their arrogant claim, "We saved the United States Marine Corps!" The following article, printed in the Nov./Dec. 1997 issue of the Chosin Few News Digest, explained this comment.

C.O. of "Summer of '48" Marines
By Col. J.P. Brancati

It is a little known fact that the Marines who served during 1950 unknowingly saved the U.S. Marine Corps from extinction. Startling as this statement sounds... it is fact! The story starts in the year 1949 which also was President Harry Truman's first elected year in office. The subject of debate in the U.S. Congress was the postwar dismantling of the military. It was at a point, when the suggestion of eliminating the Marine Corps, that all of the other services grasped for the Corps' missions and budget. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Omar Bradley (a Missourian and Truman confidant) said "large-scale amphibious operations... will never occur again!" He said that in Oct. 1949. President Truman, a former Army Captain who had many prejudices against the Marine Corps, described us as "the Navy's Police Force" with "a propaganda machine almost equal to Stalin's"... he made this remark in August, 1950. (Note this date).

During this period there was talk among the ranks of Marines about what would happen to them. After all, they enlisted in the Marine Corps... not the Navy! Would we be re-assigned to Naval units to complete our enlistment? Would they give us an option of taking early discharges? Would we be allowed to complete our tours of duty in a service of our choice?

The invasion of South Korea by North Korea on June 25, 1950 took our minds off of the dismantling subject and turned to the question... Where is Korea? Congress did the same!

That August a small part of the 1st Marine Division joined a U.N. force, from 15 countries, to stem the hordes of North Koreans from pushing the remains of all the resistance into the sea at a place called Pusan. This area was later referred to as the Pusan Perimeter. General Douglas MacArthur, Commander of the X Corps (the U.N.'s Korean fighting force) was studying an amphibious force to assault, seize, and occupy a port called Inchon. The 1st Marine Division was picked to perform this task along with going on to seize and protect the Kimpo Airfield. Lead by Major General O.P. Smith, the 1950 Marines accomplished all of these objectives and were sent by ships north east of this peninsula to a place called Wonsan. The purpose of this action was to have the Marines push northeast to the Yalu River, joining up with the other elements of X Corps moving northwest from the west coast. The purpose was to cut all supplies thus ending the hostilities. As you know this was not to be.

What followed was what many historians claim to be one of the most fierce and bloody battles in the annals of American history, compounded with brutally cold weather conditions... the Chosin Reservoir campaign (11/27/50 to 12/11/50). Joining the Marines in this epic battle was the 7th US Army Inf. Div, Royal Marine Commandos, and the South Korean Army. This reinforced First Marine Division emerged from its ordeal as a fighting unit with its wounded and all of its guns & equipment, including prisoners. They decisively defeated seven enemy (CCF) divisions, together with elements of three others impairing their effectiveness as a fighting force for many months. The 15,000 allies suffered 12,000 casualties, including more than 3000 KIA, 6,000 WIA, and thousands of cases of severe frost bite.

The CCF suffered an estimated 43,500 casualties including 28,000 dead and 15,000 wounded. This action culminated the achievements of the 1950 Marines whose total strength during that period was 75,000 of which, 34.5 percent or 25,918 were 1948 Marines (who signed on for a 3 year hitch... 18,560 trained at Parris Island, SC and 7,358 at San Diego, CA. There is no doubt that in 1952, when congress approved a permanent Marine Corps (three combat divisions and three air wings with supporting troops... and also approving the Commandant of the Marines be authorized on a co-equal status with the members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in matters directly concerning the Corps.) that the accomplishments of 1950 Marines played a prominent part in that decision. (On January 7, 1952, the 3rd Marine Brigade activated at Camp Pendleton, CA became the 3rd Division. The 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing was activated at Miami, FL, on February 1, 1952.)


I wish to dedicate this story to the members of the "Summer of '48" and all of the 1948 Parris Island and San Diego Marines. A special dedication to all who gave their lives in both Korea and Vietnam, our known Medal of Honor recipients: Cpl. Lee H. Phillips & PFC William B. Baugh, and all who have died since that memorable year 1948... Semper Fi!

Bubble Gum

As I sit in front of my computer at 4am, I'm reminded of nights at Christmas while on guard duty in the good old Corps – USMC. I'd stroll around my designated Guard Post and sing Christmas carols all night long, and long for family, and the comforts of home.

There was many a night when the cold damp fog was so thick you could cut it with a knife, and not see to properly patrol you Guard Post. One such night, I heard either the SGT. of the Guard coming, or the Officer of the Day (OD), so I sat perfectly still on an ammo loading dock and waited! And sure enough, I was right, it was the OD. I really didn't want to scare the pants off of the poor guy, so I stayed still until he was several yards past me (he was so close to me I could have reached out and touched him) when I shouted, "HALT! Who goes there!" He said in a very "Loud and Clear Voice" "Jesus Christ, you scared the sh-t out of me!" I asked him for the password and all of a sudden he was lost for words.

The OD that night was a new, wet, behind the ears, Shaved Tail, Second Lieutenant from "Able" Company, 1st Amtraks, 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment (we gave him the nickname "Bubble Gum") after he got his sh-t back together he remembered the password, and I gave him the counter sign as he approached me. He recognized me and said, "You scared the Sh-t out of me! Let's just sit on this dock a while and have a smoke." (Smoking was a no-no while on guard duty, but we all hid out and did it anyway).

We chatted for about an hour then he went on his way with this admonishment, "Stay alert Marine, remember Pearl Harbor, stand your post in a military manner. Good Night Marine"

"Fond memories from long ago, and far away."
Larry G. Lovett, USMC 1954 - 1956
Platoon 354 June - Sept. 1954
S/N 1500XXX

Soup Sandwich

Dear Sgt. Grit,

"Oldies but Goodies."

Accomplishing the Mission - "This will be like a, "One legged Man in an Azs-kicking Contest."

If you are serious about fighting me?, "You better go outside and practice falling down a few times."

Ego - "Marine, please do not let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird azs."

"Private", (from the wise old Gunny), "Do you know the difference between sh-t and shinola?" Recruit from Tenn., "Sir I think they are both brown, sir." You do not call a Gunny, sir. Pvt. now confused and walks or should I say ditty bops away. Now gunny says to me, "Bruce, we get these guys out of boot camp and they remind me of a Soup Sandwich!"

When God gave out brains you thought he asked you if you had trains, and you told him, "I got them for Christmas."

Marine being refused a drink at last call at the NCO Club for being a little drunk. S/Sgt behind the bar as bartender telling the Marine to go back to the squad bay nicely. Marine being sarcastic... so the S/Sgt politely says, "Cpl, please take a flying f-ck through a rolling doughnut, and get the f-ck outta my club."

My loud mouthed friend at the NCO Club who was told to take a week off and relax from the First Sgt. who was talking to a Woman Marine who had no family and just got bad news from a friend at home. Now you have 2 people who are very depressed! The Woman Marine says, "We both have some vacation time coming. "Why don't we use our vacation to paint the Washington Monument purple and we can call it the "original purple shaft."

We had a Marine who had a father who was a real Indian Chief from Oklahoma. The Indian who we named "Chief" got drunk, lost his shoes, and startted doing a war dance in front of the NCO Club after last call as we were leaving the club. Unbeknownst to him, as he was drunk, he did a war dance around broken glass and had to be taken to the hospital. First Sgt. chewed him out and told me I had "Indian Watch" and to keep the booze away from him. For a month, he was my problem after work finished.

Semper Fi
Bruce Bender
Cpl. 1963-1967

On The Bright Side


This is in response to the piece by Pvt Ryan in your last newsletter. When I went through MCRDSD the Battalion Commander at the time was a full bird Colonel named Coffman. Not a real good time for a private by that name to be going through! Every time the Colonel did something that the DI's did not appreciate, guess who found himself in the Duty Hut or the Pit. On the bright side, I sure did come out of boot camp in absolutely great physical condition!

Phil "Akabu" Coffman
Sgt '72 - '82

Bounced At Least Once

I attended OCS and The Basic School 1965-1966, (it was the Warrant Officer's 7th annual class, average age was 31, average time in service was 10 years, some Corporals, a few more Sergeants, most of us were SNCOs). There were 2428 applicants and 343 of us were selected, 280 passed muster and upon completion of The Basic School in May, 1966, were commissioned 2d Lts (something about a war heating up in Vietnam).

My bunk mate at the above events was Robert J. Dalton; during a junk on the bunk inspection at OCS, I observed his ID card on his bunk and picked it up to comment on what an ugly (something or other) he was and he snatched it out of my grip rather quickly, but not before I noted his date of birth, Dec 16, 1934. My birthdate is Nov 12, 1935, so it was not too difficult to realize that something was amiss. I knew that in 1950, he participated in the Inchon Landing, battle for Seoul, and the Chosin Reservoir campaigns, and other actions. Also, he was assigned to San Diego as a Drill Instructor upon return to CONUS in 1951, (by this time he was a 18 year old Sergeant). He accepted his discharge in 1952, upon completion of 4 years of active duty that began in 1948... at the age of 14. He had broken time, came back to active duty in 1957, served total of 31 1/2 years, retired as a Lieutenant Colonel.

To add to this saga, after I retired Nov '73 after 20+ years, I was initially in North Carolina to finish my higher education, Bob would visit my wife and I from time to time and it was interesting to observe his rise in rank. By 1975 he was a Major, on CG, ForTrps staff. One evening when I got home from work, my wife said, "Honey, Bob called from the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejeune, would like us to visit him." So off we went, to discover him in a body cast from neck to toe. He knew that I had served with 2dANGLICO (Air and Naval Gunfire Liaison Company) at CLNC and thought that I would be interested in his tale of woe. Seems that on his fourth parachute jump from a perfectly good aircraft at Fort Benning, GA, his main canopy Roman Candled, and when he deployed his reserve chute the shroud lines sort of kinda entangled with what was already collapsed on the main canopy, and with memorable words of "Oh, sh-t," he did a magnificent PLF (practice landing fall) from about 1400 feet, more or less.

Now, I am rather observant, and noticed his blouse hanging on a door knob, and presiding over about 6 or 7 rows of ribbons (two tours in Vietnam) was the U.S. Army parachute badge which represents the successful completion of five (5) jumps. Of course, I mentioned that to him, being that he mentioned the malfunction occurred on his fourth jump. Well, he said, when he was reasonably stabilized at the Ft Benning hospital the CG came into his room, with clip board in hand, and looked rather severe, as he began speaking to Bob (who was thinking, Cripes, they are going to make me pay for the parachute). Anyway, the General mumbled something about having sworn depositions from several witnesses, and they all swore, under oath (and probably under their breath) that they observed Bob hit the deck and he bounced at least once, therefore, the command decided that the bounce would count as a fifth jump and so awarded him the jump wings, with the caveat that under no circumstances was he to return to Ft Benning for additional training... ever. And that old sea dog went on to serve for many more years.

We saw Bob at the first reunion in 46 years of The Warrant Officer Basic Course of 1966, at Quantico, VA, 26 Aug 2012. He looked good, healthy and as full of the dickens as ever. And I would like to add, the gathering enjoyed the freebies that Sgt Grit showered on our little band of brothers, 34 in attendance, in wheelchairs, canes, and on two feet... more or less.

Respectfully submitted,

Will Clifford
Capt., USMC (Ret)
Jul '67 - Aug '68

P.S. I was recalled to active duty Feb 1988 after 15 years of "retirement" which reminded me of why I got out on 20!

Marine Recruiter Impressed Me

Sgt grit,

I had received my draft notice and my dad took me up to the recruiting office. My dad was in the Army, and we walked into see the Marine recruiter and he impressed me very much. I signed the enlistment papers for six years and they put us on a bus for P.I.

We arrived at two o'clock in the morning and a Gunnery Sgt. came aboard the bus. He said get off the f-cking bus. He never said any words that had more than four letters. We stood outside on yellow footprints. The recruiter told us to take shaving gear and after shave lotion. We went inside the building and they put G.I. cans up on the table. They threw everything that we had in the G.I. cans. I didn't know what I was doing.

The next day the senior D.I. came out with the SOP book. He went back into his house and he said that we could do it by the book, or his way. I bumped my buddy and we put the book on the floor. The next twelve weeks made me a Marine, and I am proud of it. I received the leatherneck award from boot camp. Platoon 380, 1966 to 1972.

Sgt. Wayne

Column Left, March

With all this discussion on which DI has the best cadence calling, I have to weigh in. We were on the other side of the fence on this. Platoon 2264, MCRD San Diego, November 10, 1966, 8+ weeks later. I prefer to withhold the name of this particular DI as I do not wish disparage his fine efforts in molding us from wimps into Marines in 2 months' time.

He was an E-5 from the Deep South (no offense intended to my Southern brethren), and his commands came out as the most bizarre form of language I have ever heard. It sounded like he had a mouth full of marbles. "Column left, March!" came out as "CRUMFTOIL FLENRT, MLPHT!" (you get the picture). We were all from California and most spoke "surfer" only. As one can imagine, the early weeks of boot camp were an unmitigated disaster. 60 boots all going in different directions at the same time. Guys bumping into one another, some going down to the grinder, cussing, pushing and shoving. What resulted from this fiasco each time was about a million pushups and squat-thrusts, and I assume, cursing by this DI (although we really couldn't tell).

But by week 3 or so, we started to instinctively dissect these verbal abominations and mentally transformed them into commands. These weren't words, they were noises. It was as though we all became experts in foreign language. We should have all been sent to Monterey, CA, to the language school, taught Vietnamese, and been given an interpreter MOS. The noise coming from this DIs mouth was the worst distortion of the English language one could ever imagine. Every time he took us out for drill, we all sweated bullets.

After 4 years in the Corps, I entered the University. Although I was an accounting major, I took Spanish as an elective. Aced this class and two more. I am fluent in it today. I think I owe it all to Sgt. Mxnxxe. God bless him.

He was born too early. In WWII, there wouldn't have been a code breaker in the entire world that could have figured out his radio messages.

The Navajo code talkers would have looked up to him in awe.

Bob Imm
Sgt, 6511
H&MS 13, Chu Lai '69-'70
Wing Wiper Extraordinaire

Giggle Water

Hey Sgt Grit,

Reading Dennis Krug's mention of the movie "The Great Santini" from the book by Pat Conroy brought back memories of being in the same squadron with Pat Conroy's father, who was the character Pat wrote about in the book.

We were in VMF-214 aboard the escort carrier USS Sicily CVE 118 off the coast of Korea in late December 1950 or early January 1951 (that was a couple of years ago and can't be quite sure of the exact time) but it was after we were at Yonpo and the Chosin thing. I was a PFC not long out of boot camp and doing what PFC's do, anything anyone wants you to do. Pushing planes around the deck, working on planes, patching bullet holes, etc.

Anyway to get to the story, then Capt. Conroy was in the cockpit of the F4U-4B Corsair, engine turned up to full military power, in takeoff position on the catapult, checked his instruments... everything OK, and saluted the Cat Officer. At this point the Cat officer does his thing and waves forward down on one knee, giving the pilot time to get his right hand back down from the salute and behind the stick (this is to keep the sudden acceleration from driving the stick back resulting in a stall, not a good thing). The guy that pushes the button to fire the cat, fired it too soon and Capt Conroy's arm was still up in the air in a half salute position as he was being rocketed into the air. (These cats were the old hydraulic jobs, not the later, softer steam cats). The result was, we had a fully fuel loaded, fully armed with rockets and bombs Corsair flying with basically a one armed pilot as his right shoulder had been dislocated by the acceleration. He flew it around, dumped his ordinance, and burned as much fuel as possible while the deck was being cleared and then came around for a landing.

His first pass was waved off and he was pretty busy flying that bird and adding full power for a go-around. His next pass was a cut and he brought it aboard. He passed out from the pain and a flight deck crewman climbed on the plane and jumped in Capt Conroy's lap and got on the brakes.

At about this same time the Red Cross notified my squadron that my father was dying and I was to return to the US. A DE was alongside to refuel from the carrier and Capt Conroy and myself were transferred to the can by breeches buoy. The trip to Sasebo, Japan was not a fun time aboard that DE as we were on the edge of a typhoon and no one was allowed on deck and only sandwiches were served in the galley.

Upon reaching Sasebo, I was joined by four or five Sailors heading the same way I was, the train to Tokyo to catch a plane back to the states. I must also mention that I had all my 782 gear including my M1. The trip was uneventful except that every stop the train made, we would take up a collection and one of us would get off and buy sake. I only remember one Sailor in particular, he was short, stocky, and had a full black beard. He said he was off a submarine. At one point along the way, we had to change trains and the submarine Sailor was so drunk we had to carry him. I believe it was about this time that I saw Capt Conroy again. He advised me to gather up all the bottles and follow him. We went to one of the heads on the car and he had me pour all the "giggle water" as he called it down the toilet.

I made the flight home via Northwest Airlines, saw my dad who recovered and rejoined my squadron back in Korea in Feb. 1951. I never saw Capt Conroy again, but a friend met he and Pat Conroy while living in Italy just a few years ago. Capt Conroy was one helluva pilot. Much later, when I was flying FJ-4's off a carrier I would remember to salute and get my hand back behind the stick in a hurry.

Semper fi,
WF Mitchell


Submitted by: MARINE Jim McCallum (the ole gunny)
Vol. #4, #3, (Mar., 2014)

It only seemed about a week before we got the word that there would be an LST sitting in the Qui Nhon harbor. It was designated to pick up the recently recovered YZ-67 plus another bird and take them to the Overhaul Facility in Japan for repair. I can't remember what the problem was with the other aircraft but the LST was going that way so they had some open deck space.

Another Sgt. (Bill Jennings) and I were assigned the privilege of going out to the LST and tying the two birds down and making them ready for transport. This would happen once they were airlifted out and put on the deck. Well, this normally doesn't take too long so we looked forward to the break. We both turned our aircraft over to our 1st mech's and our spare gunner for a day's break. We rounded up some extra tie downs and loaded the gear that we would require into one of the A/Cs that was going to be sent north.

We climbed on a transport helo and were taken out to the ship. We kind of hung around the forward portion of the ship and we had been there for quite a while. Finally, a Chief came out and told us that if we were hungry the ship's cook said we should come below and he'd make us something to eat. I failed to tell you that this was early in the morning and the smell of fresh cooked eggs filled the morning air. Bill and I went below and the cook was very hospitable and willing to make us what ever we wanted. Bill and I both choose eggs, toast, and of course milk.

Now, I can't remember ever craving milk in my lifetime, but neither Bill nor I could drink enough. Plus, I think that we ate a dozen eggs a piece and we followed that with fresh baked bread loaded with butter. As I recall, neither of us drank coffee. We weren't finished eating when the same Chief that told us about breakfast came in and said, "Why don't you guys just take it easy the rest of the day because the 2 A/Cs won't be out till tomorrow around noon." Bill and I both looked at each other and thought that if we have to go through another breakfast like this we'll weigh twice as much as when we came aboard. While this was passing thru our minds the cook came out and said that he had heard that we'd be aboard for supper and breakfast tomorrow and was there anything that we'd really like. Well we both looked at each and said at the same time that a steak wouldn't taste bad and with that the cook said "it shall be done" and come that evening it was done, and it was excellent.

These guys were absolutely great to us. I'll have to give them a plug here! The ship was the USS Vernon County. Thanks Guys, Again! We even had clean sheets and a real mattress that night. I thought that they were banned for use by MARINES, Ya, Right! Bill and I put in for inner service transfers. But, I've never seen them. My good friend Bill Jennings later received a commission and went on to be a Major. I have since lost track of his where-abouts.

I have to tell you that the two aircraft arrived on deck as scheduled and we secured for the trip and we were picked up and returned to the flight line for our interrogation or at least it seemed that way. Everybody wanted to know why we had to stay and what did we do. Of course we told them that we just sat around and drank beer and watched movies. They didn't really push the issue. It was just another adventure in the life of this ole MARINE. After all, that's what I joined for!

Writing For The NYT

Gonna have to find the exact quote, but when Gen David M Shoup (MOH, Tarawa, as a Col) became Commandant, (1960), one of his first ALMAR messages stated something to the effect that as long as he was Commandant, the U. S. Marine Corps was going to do Landing Party Manual Drill... and no other... seems to have worked OK for the last 53 years or so. (you don't wanna know what was used in boot camp a few years prior to that... "13-man squad drill"... "Squads right about"... should be a picture of that evolution in the dictionary next to the word "Fustercluck"... have seen sharper moves with John Cleese and the Monty Python drill team... somewhere back in there, maybe between WWII and Korea, was 8-man squad drill... I think.

Recall telling my platoon members in a deuce and a half (during a 'Rough Rider' convoy from Chu Lai to DaNang... and back) that it was OK to share their cans of C-rations with the urchins running along the road with us begging... but that throwing H&M's should be accomplished underhand... vs. overhand.

On that particular trip, we found ourselves as the guests of 3rd MTBn, somewhere off to the SW of DaNang... 3rd Tanks was also in the area, along with some other units... they had SEA huts, which we (K/3/5) hadn't had yet... living either on board ships (Princeton, Pickaway, Alamo), under canvas, or more often, on the ground... we SNCO's were afforded a place on the deck in one of these plywood palaces... which had not only screenwire sides, but doors! No cots, but no problem... better than what we were used to, and besides, this being SNCO country, there was a 'club' ('club'= beer (warm) and... a movie!)

As we settled in to watch some 16MM B/W 'B' movie, (long forgotten), there was out-going .50 cal, with tracers, on one of the nearby perimeters. The Marine in charge of the projector stopped the movie, and wanted to know if we wanted to secure or continue... we unanimously declared to get on with the movie because we'd already seen some firefights... the unit mess hall was known as "Be-No's Barn"... seems the previous CO had been fond of issuing directives which all began "There will be no"... plug in there whatever you want, for example "soda cans left under the hooches" or "cigarette butts left on the urinal screens, etc...

Later on, reinforcing the idea that Congress can make mistakes, I was in the same area as a 2nd Lt, with the other Tank Bn... across the valley from us was IIIMAF brig, a huge ASP (Ammunition Supply Point... this one blew up big time later on... from a grass fire), and some other ash/trash type units... Charlie would get in between these units, pop a couple rounds each way, and go home for supper, having generated an intra-mural firefight between these units. Tracers would fly across the valley half the night... and some of these units had .50 cal BMG's... my biggest worry, in retrospect, was that I never heard of anyone getting hit... friendly or not. (more later on the genius who put half-drums full of diesel fuel between our perimeter bunkers and the wire... and lit them on fire most nights... illuminated the fronts of the bunkers really well... (if I could make this sh-t up, I'd be writing for the NYT, and probably have a Pulitzer...)

"So... there I was, at 10,000 feet, hanging just by my jock strap, and the Gunny passes the word to "turn in all athletic gear"...

"Was the Skipper happy? I'd say to the point of involuntary hip movements!"

"Priv... if brains was cotton, you couldn't make a Kotex for a p-ss-ant"

"Well. Lt, if you propose to coordinate a night attack by the sounds of whistles, how are you going to tell the squads apart?" "It's real simple, SSGT... we'll just paint the whistles different colors" (this obviously before the day of night vision devices).

Actually had to explain to a civilian co-worker one time that the term "p-ss-ant", or 'to p-ss-ant' meant to divide the load, and each carry a portion in a continuous line... as do ants... and if your urine attracts ants, you might want to get your blood glucose checked... diabetes ain't fun...


Lost And Found

This July 7th, 2013, will be the 40th anniversary of my arrival at Parris Island, South Carolina. I along with 60 other fine young men were assigned to 1st Bn Plt. 177, our Bn Cdr. was LtCol Parker, our Company Cdr. Was Capt Jolly, the Series Cdr was 1st Lt. Jackson, the Chief D.I. was GySgt Hathaway, Series GySgt was Gunny Bishop, our Senior Drill Instructor was SSgt J. Denny with Sgt Hampton and Sgt Grandel.

SSgt Denny was one h-ll of a DI, he could call cadence like no other man I ever heard since. The man would call himself hoarse then take a tablespoon of honey and start all over. Sgt Hampton was almost as good, but Sgt. Grandel couldn't have called cadence if he were the only DI at Parris Island. There sixteen of us from Vermont in that Platoon and as of last June I now know the where abouts of two besides myself.

It turns out that Michael Dunham has been living back here in Vermont less than sixty miles from me since he left the Marine Corps in 1974, he was part of one of the first Harrier Squadrons in the Corps and then part of the Marine Reserves in Mass. I went on to become a member of HMM-164 in Okinawa and then off the coast of Vietnam from April 1972 until February 1973. We flew 6 combat missions between May and January and the squadron went on to sweep Hai Phong Harbor.

Another Vermont Boy that was part of the Platoon was Lee Longe of Morrisville, and after he left the Corps he settled in Maine as an Aviation Firefighter. I came back home to work for Rock of Ages Granite Corp. and enlisted in the Vermont Army National Guard where I went to OCS, becoming a 2ndLt and rising to the rank of Capt.

I start drawing my military pension and tricare this coming March. I had a glorious 24 years in service to our country. Now I would like to find the rest of the members of Platoon 177 that were from Vermont and anyone that I served with in HMM-164.

Ronald S. Edson
Sgt 2602685/009342195


Blowback - an unforeseen and unwanted effect, result, or set of repercussions.
--Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

"Any single man must judge for himself whether circumstances warrant obedience or resistance to the commands of the civil magistrate; we are all qualified, entitled, and morally obliged to evaluate the conduct of our rulers."
--John Locke (1632-1704)

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
--Mark Twain

"A scoundrel and villain, who goes about with a corrupt mouth, who winks with his eye, signals with his feet and motions with his fingers, who plots evil with deceit in his heart - he always stirs up dissention."
--Proverbs 6:12-12 NIV

Semper Fi!

Gung Ho!

God Bless the American Dream!

Sgt Grit

©2012 Sgt Grit Inc
7100 SW 44th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73179
You are receiving Sgt Grit's weekly newsletter.
Unsubscribe from just the newsletter ...OR...
Unsubscribe from all Sgt Grit Emails
To Submit a story - Email info@grunt.com.
Subscribe to this newsletter.