If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

Old Corps

Total Posts: 618

Thanks, Terry, will do.

Total Posts: 104

Brothers, well received no emails. so, here is what I found out, that there is a picture of President Kennedy
walking on the footprints, this 1961
But, it seems no one in HQ, I had contact with a Ret Mgsgt, who works in the History dept of HQ. USMC. and that no one has ever asked before?
But. I had contact with a friend of my fathers, He joined in 1955, and there were Yellow then.

So, I guess, unless we find someone who has the History, I believe they came about in the early fiftys.

Hope that helped. thanks to my sons, for the help the gave on this.

Semper Fi.

Terry Children answer - Jan 26, 2013 07:22pm

Brothers, well received no emails. so, here is what I found out, that there is a picture of President Kennedy
walking on the footprints, this 1961
But, it seems no one in HQ, I had contact with a Ret Mgsgt, who works in the History dept of HQ. USMC. and that no one has ever asked before?
But. I had contact with a friend of my fathers, He joined in 1955, and there were Yellow then.

So, I guess, unless we find someone who has the History, I believe they came about in the early fiftys.

Hope that helped. thanks to my sons, for the help the gave on this.

Semper Fi.

Joe, C.
did you rec from my kids, HQ, answer? still can not nail it down.

Yes, Terry, got it. Thank you and the kids for the research.  I guess we’ll never know the exact date and place.  If they had known what an icon the yellow footprints would become, they probably would have recorded it.

Total Posts: 8

I’ve always heard you were Old Corps if you were older than the Marines that served after you served .PFC,G.L.H. Boot Camp yellow foot prints 1968. Plt. 214 MCRD S.D.Calif.

PS Did I put this in the wrong place ?

Total Posts: 11

Got a history of MSN somewhere on my old sites…the Marine ID Cards came in very early in WWII, or just prior….

Did a tour at Henderson Hall, HQMC 1959-62, there was an elderly gentleman who visited the Hqtrs Bld#1 there every few months, a WWI (Great War) Marine!.

He was Old Corps!

Served in Col R.H. Williams RCT-3 (Combat Team) 53-54, CJHP, Camp Fuji….he was Old Corps…wore campaign hat, riding breeches, boots, swagger stick (or riding crop?); in fact, he wrote the book Old Corps where he defined Old Corps that time between the wars!

Semper Boots!

Gunny G
aka: Dick G

Total Posts: 14

I keep reading about the Corps going back to service numbers but nothing gets done. I am retired and my retiree ID card has my SS number right there on the front. The opposition to leaving the SS number off is the damn exchange. Everything from your eligibility to use the exchange to your military STAR or NEX credit card is based on the SS number. The biggest reason to go back to service numbers is to protect that SS number from ID thieves. I ran off an inch of label maker tape and just covered the SS number. Fuck ‘em.

Total Posts: 14

I keep reading about the Corps going back to service numbers but nothing gets done. I am retired and my retiree ID card has my SS number right there on the front. The opposition to leaving the SS number off is the damn exchange. Everything from your eligibility to use the exchange to your military STAR or NEX credit card is based on the SS number. The biggest reason to go back to service numbers is to protect that SS number from ID thieves. I ran off an inch of label maker tape and just covered the SS number. Fuck ‘em.
I never knew the first number of my service number meant anything. Mine starts with a “2.”

Total Posts: 392
Richard Clark - Apr 02, 2013 11:05pm

I never knew the first number of my service number meant anything. Mine starts with a “2.”

So, what is the meaning of the first number?

I believe the 1st digit represented which million range of Marines we were in.

Brother Joe, believe you are right on, But, what year did the 2 million man mark hit, ( the first part) second part of the 2 is the Generation ie:50s or 60s.
alot of this was and in the Military code justice book (red) that you received in Boot.

Still trying to nail down the yellow foot prints, now that I have recovered somewhat, I will take more time to follow thru.

Semper Fi.

Total Posts: 41

I always considered China Marines to be Old Corps, now I’m starting to believe if you carried WWII/Korea 782 gear and had brown shoes and barracks cover visor you’re Old Corps. :~)

My S/N was 2020xxx and we had a mix in my boot camp platoon (1962 w/yellow footprints) of 20xxxxx and 19xxxxx S/Ns. I was always jealous of the 19xxxxx numbers. The real salts were 18xxxxx and before.

Total Posts: 1353

Jerry I had 782 gear, brown shoes which i had to dye black and an 184 seriel number and do not consider myself an old Corps Marine, my idea of an old Corps is those who got the title of Devil Dog in Europe.

Total Posts: 41
J. - May 05, 2013 10:25pm

Jerry I had 782 gear, brown shoes which i had to dye black and an 184 serial number and do not consider myself an old Corps Marine, my idea of an old Corps is those who got the title of Devil Dog in Europe.

We may not consider ourselves Old Corps but we’re Old Corps to somebody, just like those WWI Marines, Banana Wars Marines and China Marines were Old Corps to us. Just stop and think about it. Come June 28th, it will have been 51 years since I stepped on those yellow footprints. It doesn’t seem like a long time until you say it out loud. While there are others still alive that came before me, it took a long time and a lot of bumpy roads to get where I’m at. By God I’m taking credit for it.

Total Posts: 10

They will not be replacing SSN as service Number,they are replacing the SSN on ID cards active Duty and dependents First.

Visitor Statistics
Post Marker Legend
The most visitors ever was 57, on November 20, 2012 02:18 AM
Total Registered Members: 696836
Total Topics: 6348
Total Replies: 10865
Total Posts: 17213
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 2

Active Members: