If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

Couple Questions

Total Posts: 4503

Hello to all,
I’m a Marine wannabe. I’ve always wanted to be a Marine and know that my life had meaning. Now, I’ve never had the fortune to personally know a Marine in my life, or even many people in the Military for that matter. So please excuse my ignorance with these questions.
How long are Marines  deployed for at a time?
How long do men/women go home for leave?
How many years should one be expected to go on tour for?
In what ways does the Military support troops coming back to go to college?
I wish I knew these answers so I wouldn’t have to take anyone’s time asking, however I recently just requested more information via http://www.Marines.com and I plan on seeing a recruiter soon. Thank you.

Total Posts: 41

Currently most deployments are 7 months, some in the head shed go longer up to 13 off the top of my head.

you get 30 days paid leave where you go and what you do is up to you, just don’t do drugs or rape.
most contracts are 4x2x2, 4 yrs active, 2 years reserve (drilling), 2 years in the IRR (non drilling reservist)
post-9-11 GI bill is prett good it’ll cover most of your expenses. some states have a veterans grant that allows you to go to any state college free as long as your a resident of that state.

Hey MSchmidt,
I’m a poolie right now (signed my contract with marines, just waiting for boot camp) and I’m about a month and a half away from leaving.  From everything I’ve heard/been told/researched, Indian’s answer was right on.  Good luck with your information gathering though!

Total Posts: 392

You need to understand that while the aspiring officer indians56 has hit the nail on the head the mail can be moved suddenly.  That is, everything is done for the COG (convenience of the government) if you are needed somewhere for six years you will do a six year tour.  Or, if your not needed “goodbye, thanks for coming” can come your way before you even get to boot.  Good Luck.

Total Posts: 41

[quote user=“jburke”]
You need to understand that while the aspiring officer indians56 has hit the nail on the head the mail can be moved suddenly.  That is, everything is done for the COG (convenience of the government) if you are needed somewhere for six years you will do a six year tour.  Or, if your not needed “goodbye, thanks for coming” can come your way before you even get to boot.  Good Luck.

Ha, SEMPER GUMBY

Thanks for the replies everybody. I really appreciate it.

Total Posts: 28

Spot on…plus you got the Tuition Assistance program that pays 100% of tuition while serving on Active Duty, max cap at $4500 per fiscal year.  Tack that onto military friendly schools w/book grants like Ashford University or American Military University and you don’t pay a thing to go to college.

Total Posts: 1353

While I was in I took clep tests, one a month and had 1.5 years credit as well as on site college courses. these tests cost 100 in college and nothing in the Corps. The advantage is time savings by not having to sit in college courses on subjects you no not really need.
 <div id=“contenthead”>
    <h1>About CLEP</h1>

Save Time. Save Money. Take CLEP.

</div>

The College-Level Examination ProgramŽ (CLEP) gives you the
opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know by
earning qualifying scores on any of 33 examinations. Earn credit for
knowledge you’ve acquired through independent study, prior course work,
on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits, or
internships.

Visitor Statistics
Post Marker Legend