Order your custom item by December 1st to guarantee receipt by Christmas.
Get your gifts by Christmas!  View our Christmas shipping deadlines.
If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

John A Lejeune Respect the 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps say his name correctly-LUH JERN

Total Posts: 5

Respect and honor the 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps by saying his name correctly.

John Archer Lejeune (Luh-Jern)
John Archer Lejeune   The Greatest Leatherneck of them all
Lt. General John Archer Lejeune who from 1920 to 1929 held three terms as the 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps.
The pronunciation of the Lejeune family name is incontrovertibly …… rock-hard …LUH-Jern.  …
General Lejeune graduated from the Naval Academy after going to LSU.  The family was on tough $$ times. He was accepted into the Naval Academy and graduated in 1888.  The Naval Academy then assigned him to be a midshipman and after two years as a midshipman, he was supposed to finish his midshipman term and become Ensign Lejeune, the Naval Corps of Engineers why?  Because he was second academically in his class, and the Navy policy was that anybody ranked that high could not become a Marine. 
Well, General Lejeune had the one quality triumphed over everything.  The one quality that makes each Marine a true Marine…all have it, it gets them through boot camp ONE WORD -    DETERMINATION
In his effort to become a Marine, Midshipman Lejeune / luh jern went to his senators and the Governor of Louisiana and for two years he just was determined to become a Marine.  Finally, the Navy said “if you can get the Marine Corps to request you, we’ll let you go.”  And they did and the rest is history.  He had a long, successful run.  General Lejeune had a long, storied military career.  He was in the Mexican War and many other skirmishes.  When he got to Cuba as a Lt. Colonel, he founded Marine Corps Association.  Then he went on with his career.  He finally arrived back in Washington as a one-star Brigadier General and was offered the chance to be the next Commandant of the Marines Corp.  It was 1917.  He turned it down because there was a war going on in France.  He then went over to the Marine Brigade working for the Army Expeditionary Forces under General Pershing, and before you knew it, he was doing such an excellent job that Pershing made him the “first Marine in charge of an Army division in combat – the 2nd Army division.  He set a record.  He went behind enemy lines as a two-star. 
Ultimately, he came back home to Washington, D.C.  They made him the thirteenth Commandant of the Marines for three tours.  They had a parade in New York and everything.  He and the Marines were quite the heroes.  However, the War Department and the Army Chief of Staff were the powers to be in those days and they were really upset.  What did they do?  The Army Chief of Staff made a vow to dissolve the Marine Corps. Anybody he felt worthy that could reapply to the Army. At that point, John A Lejeune went on another mission –to save the Corps. What did he do?  He created traditions.  He created the precursor to the evening parade.  He had sunset parades and things of that nature.  He created the birthday message, the birthday ball, but not for the reasons we enjoy today, he did it to save the Marine Corps.
His family was all military people. Many Lejeune descendants are currently serving in the Marines They are gentle and kind people from the state of Louisiana .  One of their 200 descendants, a writer, Brian Costello, said “Every time we hear the “JUNE” word on television, we cringe.”
So preserve his legacy, RESPECT the man, say his name correctly: LEH JERN

John Archer Lejeune (LeJERN) raised the bar in our Corps from the time he entered the US Naval Academy (class of 1888) to his leadership in World War I and his fight to keep our Corps of Marines prominent in the War Department’s long term planning. The rock hard fact is:that we Marines owe our 13th Commandant our Honor, Courage, Commitment and above all RESPECT the World’s Greatest Marine

The Lejeune / luh jern family would like respect & honor returned to the General’s great name. Herein lies much of the gouge proving we have an American generation who have been, sadly off target …. please assist Semper Fi …
check the facts below please

Time to honor and respect a great Leatherneck

please pass the word with any prodigals eager to respect this extraordinary Marine …

Herein is a collective of respect & honor for the General Lejeune / luh jern history …. CMC remarks, Diane Sawyer, Leatherneck Magazine story (April 2008), NPR, Videos/ YouTube, as well as the super Marine Corps League Veterans like George M Barrows who have never misspoke this great name who gave save our Corps and later VMI as well as creating MCA, MCL, amphibious warfare, Marine schools, 10 November traditions, and offered leadership second to none.

a compelling 3 minute film Time Machine Effect from long - long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAoDaeszggI

We were thunderstruck when we learn this video had been discovered. Mahalo Charlie Gaddy a United States Marine Corps heroed

Note the army general was the older brother of the late Marine hero Colonel John Ripley, who was at VMI after having retired as a Marine Colonel himself…. small world.

National Public Radio 3 minutes on Lejeune / luh jern
N P R on General Lejeune / luh jern

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128572001

———————————
The new Commanding Officer of United States Marine Corps’ Camp Lejeune / luh jern has it right BZ Colonel Lecce / GMB too

“Of course, there’s only one was to pronounce it,” he said. “It’s ‘Luh-jern, and everybody needs to get on board with that. For me and my staff and my Marines it will always be Luh-jern.”

Lejeune commands change hands
HOPE HODGE

On one of the more light-hearted local controversies, pronunciation of the base’s name, Lecce left no doubt.
“Of course, there’s only one was to pronounce it,” he said. “It’s ‘Luh-jern, and everybody needs to get on board with that. For me and my staff and my Marines it will always be Luh-jern.”

Semper Fi

Total Posts: 392

Not for me.  Do we say John Basilone with an accent on the e so it is sounded as “eh” the way he and his family did?  It is the way of American speech to homogenize the strange/foreign words we use.  That includes Gallic names that require adding or subtracting syllables.  If it wasn’t for the “sound media” of radio and tv the QB would be Faver.

Total Posts: 618

If we said Luh-jern, we’d probably still be at PI busting rocks.

As someone who has always had to correct the pronunciation of my First name, I believe that the individual should be able to determine the way their name is said. Then is is a matter of respect to the individual to say it right. Marines are about respect,so respect John A Lejeune and say his name the way he would like-Leh Jern. As to Brett Farve, I will let him disagree if you pronounce his name any way you want…

Man, you must run into some real dopes who don’t know how to pronounce SMITH.  But, you are asking to respect the descendants not the individual here.  Do you say Paris or Paree?  If I ever have the privilege of meeting the great general I will be sure to speak to him as Gen Lejhurn.  His descendants will be called Lejune unless they insist upon the the continental way then, of course out of respect to their wishes, they’ll get it.  But to expect a nation of English speakers to see the name and know its French prono is silly.  To demand it as a mark of respect to a Marine who has been dead for over 60 years and,as Joe points out, has had his name corrupted for that time, is just pedantic.

Total Posts: 14

As the owner of a seven letter one vowel last name that has been brutalized over the two decades I’ve been associated with this gun club I can say that I’ve accepted the pronunciation of my last name that the Corps has given me.  I think there’s a fair chance that Gen Lejeune did the same.  I’ll accept this revisionist pronunciation of “Lejern” if someone can provide any 1st source documentation of the General introducing himself as “Lejern”.  Audio recording or film.  Haven’t as of yet seen it.  So I continue to drive to work everyday at Camp Lejeune.  You decide if I’m typing an invisible “R”.

Gy K

Unfortunately we can’t get the General on tape but posted below is a link on You Tube of an interview Charles Gaddy had with his daughter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAoDaeszggI
Listen to Laura Lejeune. The evidence is incontrovertible. It is pronounced LeJERN

Family members share the story in a kind and gentle fashion, that when Northerners(aka Yankees) read the name, they change it without regard for the correct pronunciation. In our last generation of Leathernecks, many have lost the correct sound for the name Lejeune(pronounced LeJERN.)

The Lejeune name is a legacy in this southern Parish (a county is called a Parish in Louisiana), where the General was born on 10 January 1867. Their French heritage, Cajun & Creole accents and the Napoleonic legal codes all blend to create a chivalrous way of life. General Lejeune’s descendants would like to know how their most famous son’s name became so widely misspoken? In the 1960’s and 70’s (the old Corps) consensus has it that at least half the Marines used the correct Luh JERN articulation.) Time and inattention in other climes has diminished the proper use of the general’s name.

There is absolute unanimity on the correct pronunciation at his birthplace. One retired Marine has said that Leathernecks pronouncing “Luh jern” are both on target as well as respectful.

Are you familiar with the term ETYMOLOGY? It is the study of words and their origin.  A fascinating science.  The word ‘colonel’ started in Italy.  It meant “column of soldiers.” And it has evolved to it’s present use from the mid 16th century origin. From obsolete French coronel (earlier form of colonel), from Italian colonnello ‘column of soldiers,’ from colonna ‘column,’ from Latin columna.  When the word got to France, it had collected a soft ‘r’ sound. One assumes that you currently say it with an “r”.
How do you say “corps?” Do you say “corpse”? Then there are those who refer to the nation’s capitol as ‘WaRshington.’ Doubtful that the President pronounced it that way.

Perhaps, at one point on the continent, it might have been pronounced “Joon” but it simply is not correct in America, nor is it what the family requests.

Essentially, I have merely provided you the information here to sound well informed when you speak. It is your choice as to use it or not.

Your last sentence is the only operative one.

Total Posts: 266

I lived and worked in North Carolina for almost 25 years and had the privilege of teaching several law enforcement classes at MCB Lejeune.  On several occasions I tried to say the General’s name as Luh Jern and was met with blank stares.  I even had a First Sergeant correct me and tell me it was said Le June.  I gave up.

I believe the good general was still living when the camp was begun.  If those in the know had made a big deal of it then perhaps it would have made a difference in how the name was remembered.

It is my understanding (I wasn’t there at the time) that “back in the day” Lejeune was properly pronounced as “Leh jern.”  for many years-some of the senior officers shipped off to DC and returned to discover “pronounciation laziness” had set in. Whether out of ignorance or laziness or no education on the subject, the original pronunciation of Leh jern faded away. This is an attempt to restore what has been lost-the original American pronunciation of the General’s name. ( To be “continental” perhaps the Frenc h might say “joon” but the General and his family to this day in Louisiana do not)

If successful, will the next effort be to get the city called, “Paree?”  Really doubt that 60+ years of usage will be overcome.

Total Posts: 618

When I was a young Marine out of boot camp I onced missed 3 buses as I stood there waiting for the LaHoya bus.

Total Posts: 33

LOL, Joe.  It was confusing alright.

I was stationed on Lejeune Feb67-Feb68 on return from the Namarama.  The Leh Jern (prounounced more like Zhern) pronunciation was fairly common, especially out at 2dRecon, Onslow Beach.  None of us dared say Leh June within earshot of Gunny Alewine (KIA in late ‘67).  I got out of the habit after being transferred to OSO duty in Austin.

Leatherneck had an article about General LeJeune and his descendents in Loosiana a year or two ago.  The article also emphasized the correct pronunciation of Camp Lejeune.

Frank, I think the article was brought about by this campaign for the correct” prono.

For instance, our President: is it O-bah-ma or O-bama (as in Alabama)? We say it the way he wants.
This requset for the correct pronunciation of Lejeune as Leh jern is much the same

You are correct, Burke. This is an ongoing educational effort to restore the original “American” pronunciation to the name of the greatest Marine. You all have been given the information, say it right and spread the word. If folks give you the blank stare, refer them to Wikipedia or Youtube and the links above.

Semper Fi

Visitor Statistics
Post Marker Legend
The most visitors ever was 57, on November 20, 2012 02:18 AM
Total Registered Members: 696836
Total Topics: 6352
Total Replies: 10867
Total Posts: 17219
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 2

Active Members: