If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

I Owe All of You an Apology

Total Posts: 266

I have to apologize to all of you for “...dropping off the end of the earth…”  The past four months or so have been really ugly.

By way of explaining why I haven’t been on line - I will explain my hospitalizations in a moment - but my wife was in the hospital with COPD/Asthma on four seperate occasions since mid December (three of them for almost ten days) and my mother-in-law, who lives with us, has been hospitalized twice during that same time frame.  Between these events, my stuff, and the weather (we lost a couple of trees due to wind and I have to help clear them) I have forgotten my own name more than I have remembered it.

Now then…Again, I have to thank all of you for your support during my bout with colon cancer and I do owe you an update.  In the middle of February my surgeon and chemo doctors “kicked” me out of their offices saying they didn’t want to see me again.  No, it was not for any bad behaviour, but rather that they have pronounced me cancer free - Sierra Hotel.  Getting to this point was a challenge and this is not a whine - just more a heads up for any of you that might go through the same thing I did. 

After the chemo and radiation and heart attack in July, August and September, I had the surgery to remove the infected part of the colon (about 12 inches of it) on 27 October.  They put in an ileostomy bag (for those of you who don’t know this is a poop baggie that hangs outside of you) in place and that was a lot of fun.  They removed the baggie on 27 November and hooked my inards back up.  On 4 December I went back in the hospital with a severe infection in my abdomen - the surgeon explained that try as they might, such an infection is relatively common when removing an ileostomy bag.  I got out on 14 December.  For the next six weeks or so, I was packing the wound (when I first started I could put three fingers up to the second knuckle inside the hole in me) with wet gauze and using a vaccuum pump which really helped the healing process.  For the last three months or so, I have been trying to retrain my bowels for normal operation and that has been a realy bugger.  It seems that my body decides to empty anywhere from 12 to 20 times in the middle of the night which means I have been getting little to no sleep at night.  I have an appointment with a GI doc and hope he can help me get straightened out.  The docotors also took out the portal in my chest - it is used for chemo and direct infusion of medication - three weeks ago.  I told them I was treating them just like I do an auto body shop and I wanted the darn thing - lo and behold, they gave it to me.  Not sure what I am going to do with it but I do have it.

So that is where I am.  Honestly, I have to credit the positive things you all shared with helping me keep my spirits up.  THANK YOU!!!

If all goes well, you will see me posting on here more often.  Semper Fi to all of you.

Total Posts: 33

Hey, James, good to hear from you again.  Sounds like you and your family have been through the wringer the past few months.  Outstanding news about the cancer.  Congratulations.

As you can see there aren’t many of us posting these days.  Looks like we have to kick-start this thing.

Semper Fidelis,

Frank

Total Posts: 262

James,

No apology needed. I am sorry I forget your name that you used on the old board. I do remember the up-dates that you would post every so often. As stated, you and your family have had more then your share of the dark side of things. Hopefully, things will get better for all of you.

Glad to see your post and the good news. Was your name - Marine 6468?  just popped into my pea brain.

Total Posts: 266
links - Mar 25, 2011 07:37pm

James,

No apology needed. I am sorry I forget your name that you used on the old board. I do remember the up-dates that you would post every so often. As stated, you and your family have had more then your share of the dark side of things. Hopefully, things will get better for all of you.

Glad to see your post and the good news. Was your name - Marine 6468?  just popped into my pea brain.

That is affirmative - I have asked Kristi to renew my old name so hopefully that will happen.

Thanks again for the thoughts…y’all take care

Total Posts: 452

You and yours sure have been through the wringer! It’s a good thing you’re a Marine because a normal man wouldn’t have survived…

I’m thinking many prayers have been answered.

Visitor Statistics
Post Marker Legend
The most visitors ever was 57, on November 20, 2012 02:18 AM
Total Registered Members: 696836
Total Topics: 6335
Total Replies: 10864
Total Posts: 17199
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 2

Active Members: