If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

Poole seeking help.

Total Posts: 1

Hello everyone I’m currently a Poole and leave in a year for basic, and later infantry school as that going to be my MOS. I recently I got to talk to a Marine that just came back from SOI and he said he recommends hiking with a packs in order to get used to it. The problem is I’m not sure what to get weather a backpack or a rucksack to hike with some weight in it. I saw there were to on the website and wonder if any of the two would be good or should I search for others?

Total Posts: 392

Look for something similar to what’s being used today.  Haunt a surplus store.  The idea is to get as strong and used to the cutting as you will need to be at max effort.

Total Posts: 1

A rucksack would be your best bet, its probally the closest thing you can find. When you train don’t just walk your hikes try to move as fast as you can. Squats would be very helpfull I would focus on them mostly. A sled would be good too. Its gonna suck either way no matter how prepared you are. The point is pushing your limits.

Total Posts: 8

Forced humping IS really about ‘pushing your limit’s’.I think that goes mostly to your mental toughness.The gear used by ‘03 types today is very diffrent from what most of us used,as you probably know already.Whatever your load-out and type gear,you will be spending a major amount of time with this gear on not humping.Learning to be comfortable in it is key.Balance is crucial.When in contact you will be on the ground rather than humping,obviously.Learn to “crab walk”-“scoot”-sprint or just about any thing you can think of with weight and gear on.Don’t think you have to spend a fortune.“improvise” on that.Object is to make it seem like a ‘second skin’....DT

It’s been almost 8 years since I went to bootcamp and MCT. However; when I was going through bootcamp we used the old crappy ALICE packs with the aluminum bar that digs into your back so you come back from a hump with a nice character building blister on your back! when I got to MCT we used the newer MOLLI packs. The MOLLI’s are a god send! you can stuff about 2x’s more in the MOLLI than you can in the ALICE and the MOLLI’s have better padding. I guess all this to say it doesnt really matter what you use. Just be sure that when you do find a pack make sure its packed well and tightened up good or you’ll be hurting. :)

when it comes to the actual hump you’ll want to power walk as fast as you can until your legs feel like spaghetti. Once your legs feel like they cant take anymore turn around and do it again cause the first time wasn’t fast enough.

Must agree with your summation of the ALICE pack Mike…As it was relatively new when I went to boot and ITS, it was also issued in the FMF at the time…the very first thing our RVN Vet NCO’s advised when we hit our Line Company was to s—tcan the frame asap. “just leave the thing in the bottom of your footlocker”...4 years and 9 months, and many, many miles later said frame was turned back in to supply in excellent condition. I guess the point is whatever our new Marine to be has, leave the extra weight and uncomfortable junk off…As for ‘humpin’, we always see where some ‘older Marine’ says his “humps” were much harder than a newer generation…bullcrap…the “legs like spaghetti” was also a very good description, and the point being you cannot know what it feels at all like until you do it…and we are 20 plus years apart in training…in The Corps, humping is humping…and just like The Corps itself, it will never die…well said Mike…
DT Jones, Cpl.
Alpha 1/6, Weapons Platoon, ‘81-‘85

Visitor Statistics
Post Marker Legend
The most visitors ever was 57, on November 20, 2012 02:18 AM
Total Registered Members: 696836
Total Topics: 6315
Total Replies: 10858
Total Posts: 17173
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 2