Order your custom item by December 1st to guarantee receipt by Christmas.
Sign up for our email list and get FREE standard shipping and a chance to win a FREE KA-BAR!
If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

USMC HISTORY - Iwo Jima 65th Anniversary Today - Feb 19th

Total Posts: 1522

<DIV dir=ltr align=left>This is from Cpl “Seamus” Garrahy:
</DIV>
<DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left>
<HR tabIndex=-1>
</DIV>
<DIV class=Section1><SPAN style=“FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Calibri’,‘sans-serif’”>I waited for a concise history of the first day of Iwo Jima, and Kathy Landess has come through.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” ><o:p></o:p></SPAN><SPAN style=“FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Calibri’,‘sans-serif’”><o:p> </o:p></SPAN><SPAN style=“FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Calibri’,‘sans-serif’”>I have been on Iwo Jima and it is 8 square miles of death.  There are no bugs, just some sort of bamboo weed, and it smells of death.  It is death!<o:p></o:p></SPAN><SPAN style=“FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Calibri’,‘sans-serif’”><o:p> </o:p></SPAN>
<SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”>The number of American casualties on Iwo Jima were greater than the total Allied casualties at the Battle of Normandy on D-Day.  </SPAN>
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 class=“MsoNormalTable”>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD class=”” style=“PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in” vAlign=top>

<o:p></o:p>
<DIV id=yiv468452003>
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 class=“MsoNormalTable”>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD class=”” style=“PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in” vAlign=top>
<DIV id=yiv914667272>
<DIV id=yiv1688452287>
<DIV><SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”>The Marine invasion of Iwo Jima (1st US attack on the Japanese Home Islands) began on February 19, 1945.  It was known as Operation Detachment.  The Marines were charged with the mission of capturing the airfields on the island which up until that time had harried U.S. bombing missions to Tokyo.  Once the bases were secured, they could then be used in the impending invasion of the Japanese mainland.  </SPAN><o:p></o:p></DIV>
<DIV> <o:p></o:p></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”>B-24 Liberators flying from the Mariannas bombed the island for 74 days prior to the invasion.  Naval ships consisting of 6 battleships, 5 cruisers and many destroyers of Task Force 54 provided a 3 day pre-landing bombardment.  Intelligence sources estimated that the island would fall in a week’s time.  Unfortunately, no one knew at the time that island had been heavily fortified.  There were vast bunkers, hidden artillery and 11 miles of interconnecting tunnels.</SPAN><o:p></o:p></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”>The battle produced some of the fiercest fighting in the Pacfic Campaign of WWII.  Besides the fortifications, the inhospitable terrain consisting of volcanic ash made walking difficult and building foxholes for protection impossible.  Night raids by the Japanese and hand-to-hand combat were common occurrences.  The bunkers were connected to the tunnels in such a way that even after the use of flamethrowers and grenades, the Japanese soldiers were able to return to the bunkers and resume their fighting.  The Marines literally won the 8 square mile island, inch by bloody inch.  </SPAN><o:p></o:p></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”>Of the approximate 20,000 Japanese troops on the island, less than 1,000 were taken prisoner.  Most Japanese fought to the death or chose ritual suicide instead of surrendering.</SPAN><o:p></o:p></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”>Of the 110,000 Marines and Navy Corpsman who took part in the battle, 6,821 were killed (this included over 300 Navy Corpsman) and 19,217 were wounded.  The number of American casualties were greater than the total Allied casualties at the Battle of Normandy on D-Day.  </SPAN><o:p></o:p></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”>On March 26, 1945, the island of Iwo Jima was declared secure ... 37 days after the battle began.  Henceforth, Iwo Jima would appear on the list in Marine Corps history alongside such places as Belleau Woods, Chosin Reservoir and Guadacanal.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV><SPAN style=“COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Comic Sans MS’”>Twenty-seven Medal of Honor medals were awarded for actions during the battle.  Of these, 14 were awarded posthumously.  Marines earned 22 of the medals, Navy Corpsman earned 4 and a Naval officer from the USS LCI won the other.  Of the total number of Medal of Honor medals awarded to Marines in WWII, 27% of those were awarded to the Marines who fought on Iwo Jima. </SPAN><o:p></o:p></DIV>
<DIV>    <o:p></o:p></DIV>
<DIV>By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully.  Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue.   Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, U.S. Navy <o:p></o:p></DIV></DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SPAN style=“FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: ‘Calibri’,‘sans-serif’”><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></DIV>

Total Posts: 1711

You done good, REAL good . . . MARINES, Rest Well.     Hey Papa, . . . thinking of you !     [ega]      You TOO, Joe !

Total Posts: 70

I was fortunate enough that on this Anniversary, I received the book,“Indestructable” from SgtMjr Yoder’s neice signed by Jack Lucas.

Total Posts: 1711

[bmp] 

Total Posts: 100

Those of us who were fortunate enough to meet Poppa Gene know he wasn’t one of the Few/the Proud.  He was exceptionally HUMBLE, and never thought of himself as a hero.  If it were possible for him to make a final post on this thread, I’m sure he’d take issue, and thank us for all the brotherhood he received while he was on this earth.
He loved the nickname of “Poppa Gene”, and personally thanked my wife for giving it to him, which he was proud to use every time since.
Many of us have our own way of acknowledging the acts of valor on Iwo, and mine is by reverent silence.

Total Posts: 4503

Thank you brother Bill. As always, eloquently said. I have also had the pleasure of spending much quality time with Gene Gusted, AKA Poppa Gene. I was even willed his lifelong collection of Marine Corps Unit patches.
On February 19th, like so may other Marines, I did one solitary hour thinking about Iwo Jima, and especially thinking about my dear old friend Gene. I even sent my son some things about Iwo, as he will very shortly be going into Afghanistan with the 1st Marines. I reminded him of the word legacy, and how the present day Marines are writing their legacy in Helmand Province now.
So, speaking for myself, I don’t need you or anyone else on this board, pontificating to me about being irreverant towards Gene Gusted, or Iwo Jima.  Gene is not in my thoughts just during the month of February, but all year long. As I have always said, Semper Fidelis is not a phrase, it is a way of life. [MCFG]

Total Posts: 8

To Corporal Gene Gustad and Corporal Bob Marmie.  They fought on Iwo Jima, but they are no longer with us as we cormemorate Their Battle on that lonely Island.

Total Posts: 452

I observed it in  my own way. The History Channel had a very interesting program on it and I watched that. 
I served with a SgtMaj who was a veteran of Iwo Jima. We were close enough that even a senior enlisted E9 rubbed elbows with us peons once in a while. We used to listen to a few of his remembrances when he was in the mood to talk, usually when we in the field for some scheme the Skipper dreamed up, and he was mellow and felt like talking. I sat and reflected on his tales but most importantly, I let my imagination fill in the gaps he left out.
The fact that I didn’t respond doesn’t mean I didn’t remember

And there it is. We all think about things differently, and I did before the freakin internet too. Sgt. Grits Marine Corps Forum has only been a part of my life for about ten years, not sixty. We all had a living brain before this Jiggs.

Total Posts: 18

Good Lord, I’m agreeing with Joe C.

Honestly as was stated each celebrates/remembers/grieves in thier own ways.
Every year, for one of our forum members brings something up like this.  Weather it be for Iwo Jima, Beruit, Tet, Saigon, Tarawa, etc.  And the answer is the same every damn time. 
Some will post on a forum, not necessarily here.  Some will attend the VFW / A.L. / MCL functions for it, others will simply walk out to their garage and pour a single shot of the year for a quiet toast.  Others will simply kick back with their family thanking God they survived the horror of it all.
So I will never fault anyone for posting or not posting on threads such as these.  I know for one I don’t generally post on Tribute or Rememberance threads myself.  You want a true gauge for threads like this, pay attention not to the replies but to the number of views of a thread.
Now I consider this issue at rest, if you want to continue the bullshit I’ll simply remove the previous comments not related to the original post.

And that quote by Admiral Nimitz just says it all.

Total Posts: 954
[quote user=“TheYeti1775”] ... pay attention not to the replies but to the number of views of a thread. ...

Hey Yetti, where do you look to see the number of viewers of a thread, It doesn’t show up anywhere that I can see…. [qmark]

[quote user=“devildog-64012”]
[quote user=“TheYeti1775”] ... pay attention not to the replies but to the number of views of a thread. ...

Hey Yetti, where do you look to see the number of viewers of a thread, It doesn’t show up anywhere that I can see…. http://grunt.com/forums/emoticons/th_arg-qmark-65-trans.gif

Forgot non-mods can’t see it anymore since the new board change over.

I cleaned up the thread.
Yeti

Total Posts: 954

<FONT size=4>US Marines land on Iwo Jima to mark anniversary</FONT>

IWO TO, Japan - Hundreds of U.S. Marines landed on the remote island of Iwo Jima on Tuesday to prepare for the 65th anniversary of one of World War II’s bloodiest and most iconic battles.

The Marines flew in trucks, water and food from Washington to support Wednesday’s commemorations of the 1945 battle that was a turning point in the Pacific theater. It claimed 6,821 American and 21,570 Japanese lives in 36 days of intense fighting. A drill team also arrived on the island.

The commemoration was to be attended by about 1,000 people, including Marine Corps commandant Gen. James Conway, members of Japan’s parliament and representatives of the Iwo Jima survivors’ association.

Story continues below
<FONT size=4>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35659607/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/</FONT> 

This information was found in a thread over at YellowFootPrints.  [slt]

Richard, are your platoon book photos on YellowFootPrints?  A fellow maggot from Plt 234 sent ours in Jan.  He was “retired” from Northwest Airlines late last year, so I asked him to scan the book and submit the photos, since he had nothing else to do. [chrs]  He did an outstanding job.  The site is a great service, and is especially helpful to Marines who have lost their books, assuming a fellow platoon member has taken time to scan the book.

Visitor Statistics
Post Marker Legend
The most visitors ever was 57, on November 20, 2012 02:18 AM
Total Registered Members: 696836
Total Topics: 6348
Total Replies: 10865
Total Posts: 17213
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 2

Active Members: