Order your custom item by December 1st to guarantee receipt by Christmas.
Get your gifts by Christmas!  View our Christmas shipping deadlines.
If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

Boot Camp Platoon Number

Total Posts: 4

I arrived on the lovely resort island of P.I. on 26 Oct. 1967

Our platoon number given was 2067

Does anyone know how the Corps assigned those platoon numbers?

The reason I ask is I see platoon numbers all over the map.

There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason. I’m seeing platoon numbers that even today are close to my platoon number.

I thought that the numbers meant what battalion and the year of your platoon. i.e. 2nd battalion, 1967 in my case.

Anyone know why this is??

Steve Hill, Cpl
RVN 68

Total Posts: 262

Stephen,

The Platoon numbers are recycled each year, beginning in January.

Okay, that might make some sense.  So, do the numbers designate anything, like month, year, company, etc.?

Okay, that might make some sense.  So, do the numbers designate anything, like month, year, company, etc.?  Or do they just start with a number at the beginning of the year and go with that?

Stephen,

1st Battalion would start the year with Platoon 1001, 2nd- 2001, 3rd- 3001, and at P.I. 4th-4001. allot depends on the number of Platoons put thru each year as to the end number for the year. You can go to Parris Island’s web site and view the schedule for the year to get a feel for the graduation dates,etc.

What does have me confused is that years ago when I went thru in 66, I have bumped into Marines that graduated with only 3 digits in the Platoon number and were in 3rd Battalion with the same SDI as I did, only they graduated a cycle before me. I will have to ask my SDI and get back to you on this. I’ll contact him next week.

Total Posts: 2

Platoon numbers are set in a series of 4 platoons per series, the way they do it in concurent from the last series. I was in platoon 343 which was the 340 series the next series to come through was 344 series which consisted of platoon 344, 345, 346, and 347. and it goes for any battalion. when I come off of the yellow footprints 9 or 10 of us were assigned to platoon 343 to finish filling up that platoon, the rest were assigned to platoon 144 starting the 144 series. After they reach platoon 199, 299, and 399. which would have beeen in the 196, 296, and 396 series they would start the four digit series platoon 1000, 2000, and 3000, I don’t believe they started over January 1st. it was whenever they fell into sequence.
I hope I got this right, it’s been awhile since I was on PI. 41 years to be exact.

I got a reply from my SDI this morning and it appears that in 1966 and during Vietnam, they were pushing us thru at such a rate, that they were using both systems at the same time. Some Platoons were 3 digit and others were 4 digits. The numbers were close on sequence.

Total Posts: 105
links - Aug 19, 2013 10:26am

I got a reply from my SDI this morning and it appears that in 1966 and during Vietnam, they were pushing us thru at such a rate, that they were using both systems at the same time. Some Platoons were 3 digit and others were 4 digits. The numbers were close on sequence.

Brothers, you are all right, I was 65/April and graduated came back thru,  stopped on the way to the airport, and the grinder was tent city. what a mess.

Semper Fi.

Thanks for all the input. I now have some sort of reasoning about the numbers…..

Total Posts: 39

Another great donation of books:

Yesterday we received another box of donated books from a private collector. 18 books in all that cover the San Diego recruit training facilities for years 1954 to 1990.

This is a great donation of books that will make a number of Marines very happy one day. If your name is listed in one of these platoon section we’ll let you know that your book has arrived.

This is the reason we ask if it’s ok to post your contact information (email address) in your platoon section. If you do not have your contact info listed and you want it added to your platoon section please send us an email and we’ll get it posted for you. Contact us at: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Semper Fi all

Total Posts: 8

I wish the sellers on Ebay would have a section where one could ask if his/her name was in the books they claim to have.  Not to do so could mean that it may be your book (as in my case where plt 339 of 1961 was not numbered as such and is said to have a different number as someone found out) and provide a quest box to have the book checked for that person’s name.  Out of twenty three requests I got to question/answer four.  My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas.  “Money to buy every damn one of these books and send them to this outfit.”

Semper Fi—from Thearle Lacey

I read in my search where someone said that Pl 339 had been released under a different number.  One clue was that the cover was different than the others from PI.  It had something to do with the statue of the flag raising on Iwo Jima and the way it was facing—I believe it was a different side of the memorial and if was facing right.  Not only my Platoon is not found, but it appears the entire series is missing. 2ndMARDIV, FMF 3rd Bn, Series 336 consisting of 336, 337, 338, 339 Parris Island, Dates Jul 7, 1961-Sept/Oc 1961.  I’m still looking but find with the entire series missing, a lot of us are.

Does anyone know of this happening and if so, am I correct in my description.  If so, it was shorten the time of examining each possibility when searching.  And if these book sellers would simply list the DI’s would be a big help.  My HDI was S/Sgt Rushing; also Sgts Fox, Long and Phillips.

Thanks for your help.  I am going in for three operations, to related to disability of breaking my back in four places while which stopped my hoped for career cold.  Would also like to see if S/Sgt Rushing (rank at the time) is still with us.  Actually, when no one from family showed for my graduation, he helped me out a lot.  I never got to say thank you.  I’m usually a loned so his help meant a lot to me, one of a three generation Marine family.

Pvt. Thearle James Lacey, Jr.  1970***

Total Posts: 1

So back in the 60s the Platoon numbers were duplicated within the same year???

I am looking for boot camp buddies of my brother. He went throughout PI in 1961 I think toward the end of the year.
His platoon was 270 series 269. So could there have been more than one platoon 270 back then?
Having trouble finding anyone who served with him. Maybe this explains it.
Thanks!

Platoon 214 MCRD San Diego Calif. 19 Jan. 1968 to 26 Mar.1968

2nd RTBN,RTR

Total Posts: 1

I went thru PI August, 1970 2nd Battalion Platoon 265.

Total Posts: 39

Martin,

I noticed we didn’t have your platoon (265) listed in our database so I added it…see link

http://www.yellowfootprints.com/yearbook/showgallery.php?cat=1859

Semper Fi all

Gary

Visitor Statistics
Post Marker Legend
The most visitors ever was 57, on November 20, 2012 02:18 AM
Total Registered Members: 696836
Total Topics: 6352
Total Replies: 10867
Total Posts: 17219
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0