If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

0311 vs 0331?

Total Posts: 1

So I’m 17 and I just got my ged I want to join either 0311 or 0331 I’m aware you don’t exactly pick your MOS but could you guys tell me some pros and cons of each? I’m about 6,1 athletic build I’m curious what the average day of both an 0311 and an 0331, as average as there can be at least. I’m really torn but the whole IED issue makes me weary of choosing 0331, so thoughts? thanks guys :D

Total Posts: 41

I know 0311 is Basic Rifleman but the MOS list I have access to lists an 0331 as a Machine Gunner - SGT-PVT. (aka “target”). I don’t see how that’s anymore related to IEDs than any other MOS.

I got to tell you, I was not a grunt, nor was I a combat Marine, also tt’s been over 47 years since I EAS’ed.

Total Posts: 1

OK Conner, this is how I see it.
I don`t know about now days, but when I joined the Marine Corps, It was the day after I turned 17 and Vietnam was starting to get real serious but in those days I had to wait until I turned 18 before they would send me. So for my first year I went to parachute rigger school in Lakehurst NJ then to Cherry Point and packed personal chutes along with ejection seat chutes and airplane drogue chutes and had a great time that year waiting for my birthday so I could go to westpac. You just have to remember that every Marine is and will always be 0311. That means, that no matter what job you do, you will firstly be a rifleman. So even if your mos is 0331 you will still be an 0311.  OOOOOOOOORAAAA
      Semper Fi           B.R Lee Sgt. USMC   1966-1970
                                          Vietnam 67-68-69     Khe Sahn survivor TET 68 survivor
                                              God Bless The MARINE CORPS

Total Posts: 5

I was an 0331. All 0331s are basically 0311s with machineguns. You crawl through the dirt and slime and hump mountains just like an 0311 except you do it with an MG, got it? If the Corps needs more pig handlers they’ll funnel more dudes into the 0331 MOS.

When you get into a combat zone there are always 20 times more 0331s than there are machineguns, so most 0331s end up being riflemen. An FNG replacement 0331 is not going to be getting the MG from an experienced gunner.

Bottom line is, there ain’t a whole lot of difference between those two MOSs.

Total Posts: 5
Bernie Lee - Dec 13, 2013 04:32pm

OK Conner, this is how I see it.
I don`t know about now days, but when I joined the Marine Corps, It was the day after I turned 17 and Vietnam was starting to get real serious but in those days I had to wait until I turned 18 before they would send me. So for my first year I went to parachute rigger school in Lakehurst NJ then to Cherry Point and packed personal chutes along with ejection seat chutes and airplane drogue chutes and had a great time that year waiting for my birthday so I could go to westpac. You just have to remember that every Marine is and will always be 0311. That means, that no matter what job you do, you will firstly be a rifleman. So even if your mos is 0331 you will still be an 0311.  OOOOOOOOORAAAA
      Semper Fi           B.R Lee Sgt. USMC   1966-1970
                                          Vietnam 67-68-69     Khe Sahn survivor TET 68 survivor

every Marine’s a rifleman but not every Marine is an 0311. All 03’s go thru a shitload of advanced infantry training that other MOSs do not get.

Visitor Statistics
Post Marker Legend
The most visitors ever was 57, on November 20, 2012 02:18 AM
Total Registered Members: 696836
Total Topics: 6318
Total Replies: 10864
Total Posts: 17182
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 2

Active Members: