Don't miss these great deals!
If we don't have it, Chesty wouldn't want it.
Questions or Ordering? 888-NOV-1775
Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm CST. Sat 10am-3pm CST.

A Late Lunch

Posted by Sgt Grit Staff
Photos (click on a photo to enlarge)
LCpl Bisher receiving a purple heart from Gen Kyle Wood

On October 23, 2013, I'll celebrate the 50th anniversary of my arrival at MCRD San Diego. In October 1963 I walked from my home in Hillsdale, MI, to City Hall with an idea to enlist in either the Air Force or the Navy. Those two recruiters had taken a late lunch, but the Marine recruiter, a Corporal, invited me to wait for them in his office and have a cup of coffee. While waiting I noticed all the brochures, posters, etc., and asked him about the Marines. I remember him telling me, "Oh no. You came here to see the Air Force and Navy. I'm not going to steal you away from them."  I responded that I wasn't under any obligation to those guys and just wondered what the Marines had to offer. To make a long story short, I enlisted in the Marine Corps and it was, by far, one of the best decisions I've made during my life.

On October 23, 1963 I left Detroit Metro airport on a 707, my first airplane ride. Arriving at MCRD and standing on the yellow footprints will forever be etched in my memory banks. Along with 70- some other maggots and t-rds, I ended up in Platoon 379. The senior DI was Staff Sergeant Washington. He was ably assisted by Sgt. Flick and Sgt. Johnny Grubbs. Washington and Flick both wore Korean campaign ribbons. For the first few weeks everyone in the platoon lived in mortal fear of newly promoted Sgt. Grubbs, but as it turned out, he taught us a lot of little things that have stuck with me during my lifetime. Grubbs was a master at bed making and fingernail clipping, rifle cleaning, etc., etc. When we graduated and SSgt. Washington gathered us together to let us know what our MOS would be most were 0300 or comm, arty and a few sea school guys. Mine was 4300. I remember Washington asking me if I were some kind of genius because he'd never heard of that MOS. For those of you who have seen the movie Full Metal Jacket, I was Joker; a Marine Corps Combat Correspondent, a fighter/writer.

After ITR and boot leave, I reported to the base newspaper and public information office at Camp Pendleton and was assigned to HQCo, HQBn, 1st Mar Div. In August 1965 I boarded ship and went off to the 3rd Mar Div in South Vietnam. Reported in to the Informational Service Office (ISO) - now called Public Information Office (PIO) - in Da Nang. My first night in country was spent on guard duty walking around General Lew Walt's HQ. After a week, or so, I was sent to Chu Lai and began humping the boonies with infantry units to gather and write stories for the Stars & Stripes, Sea Tiger, Leatherneck Magazine, etc. Spent most of my time accompanying the Second Battalion, Fourth Marine Regiment commanded, at that time, by Lt. Col. P. X. Kelly, later General Kelly and Commandant. Just missed Operation Starlight, but humped more boonies during Harvest Moon, Double Eagle and Double Eagle II, Utah, Texas, Hastings, Prairie and several others that had names I've forgotten. When my 13-month tour came to an end, I ended up at the Marine Corps Supply Center Barstow working on the base newspaper "The Prospector". I liked Barstow. While there I bought a brand new 1967 Camaro Super Sport and was promoted to Sergeant. Got accepted to college and was released from active duty on September 1st, 1967, about two months short of my four-year anniversary date. I first attended Cerritos Community College in Norwalk, CA and later California State University, Fullerton. In college I majored in communications and journalism. My career has provided employment as a public relations executive, magazine and newspaper editor, columnist, reporter, investigative journalist, author, lecturer and historian. Not every Marine Corps MOS translates into civilian employment so I consider myself lucky, lucky, lucky. 

Semper Fi, Marines, and THANKS to Sgt. Grit!

(PHOTO CAPTION: Gen. Kyle B. Wood presented Lance Corporal Bisher
with a Purple Heart)

Dan Bisher 


  1. DEnnis Krug October 24 2013, 12:19 pm

    I read your story “Late Lunch” and we have quite a bit in common. I was in the Marine Corps from 12-‘61 to 4-‘66. I went through boot camp at San Diego and was 2 weeks behind “The Everly Brother’s”. The Everly Brother’s are also from the Detroit area I believe Bloomfield Hills.
    I left for boot camp out of the old Detroit airport on a DC-3 on December 10th, 1961.  I was living in Roseville at the time. I was in the Corps during the Cuban Missile Crisis and I was stationed on Okinawa at Camp Sukaran when Kennedy was assassinated.

    I’m one of the more fortunate one’s I spent my 13 month’s on Okinawa and my ship (rotation) was the last rotation that made it back to U.S. territorial waters the next rotation turned around and went to Vietnam. Once back in the States I had to have a year here before they could send me back to the Far East and by that time I only had 5 months left or so I thought until I was extended 4 months. I was supposed to get out December of 1965 but I didn’t get out until April of 1966. My last duty station was M.C.A.S. Beaufort, S.C. only 7 miles from Paris Island and where “Santini the great” crashed in his F-4 Phantom and was killed. They made a movie called “Santini the Great” filmed there in Beaufort, S.C..
    When I got out I was an E-3 Lance Corporal I’m not sure but I think my M.O.S. was 3371 truck driver with a 5 ton license. I was in the 1st Marine Division at Pendleton HQ Bn, 3rd Marine Division Camp Sukaran Okinawa HQ Bn and 2nd Marine Division M.C.A.S. HQ Bn.

  2. Kent Mitchell October 26 2013, 9:42 am

    I arrived at Parris Island on 26 OCT 56, assigned to Platoon 377. Went to Camp Pendleton for ITR and then to Japan (Weapons 2/9) as an 0300 but segued to 2531 to work on FO teams. Greatest bunch of guys I ever knew. Also spent time in 1st Marines before leaving active duty in 1960. Had to wait until 1966 (as a civilian) to get into the writing business, thanks to the Cold War G.I. Bill. Spent 2 1/2 years at the South Florida Sun Sentinel, then went home to Atlanta and had a 35 year career with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Sports Dept… which means I’m still immature at 74 (Newside only took mature reporters).

    Semper Fi

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment.

Login Now

Shop over 5000 USMC ProductsShop 200+ USMC T-shirtsShop our Gun and Ammo ItemsShop our selection of Vietnam ItemsShop our selection of KA-BARs and Knives